Search for content in message boards

WEATHERS in Walker County

Replies: 4

WEATHERS in Walker County

Dave Roccaforte (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WEATHERS
On 6 Aug 1998, Anna Lockman Willingham posted a query asking for information about her GGGF Hartwell Weathers. She also mentions her GM Lena (see archived queries for original).

I sent the following email to her but it was returned. I am including the information here in case she is still looking through the queries and for anyone else researching the WEATHERS surname in Walker County.

Hartwell WEATHERS was my wife's 3rd great-grandfather. Her family line descends from Willis Miles WEATHERS, brother of your great-grandfather Simpson.

I have an old handwritten genealogy that starts with Hartwell and refers to his 4 sons, Levi, Gus, Joe, and Miles, and goes on to mention their children by name only.

In research I have done, I have found that there were other children in the Hartwell WEATHERS family.

The oldest appears to have been Younger Levi WEATHERS (Levi on my original list), born 11 Aug 1837 in South Carolina, died 29 Aug 1914

John R. WEATHERS, born 13 Sep 1839, died 28 Oct 1862, buried in Chickamauga Cemetery

Asberry WEATHERS, born about 1842, died at Missionary Ridge on 25 Nov 1863

Margaret WEATHERS, born about 1844

James WEATHERS, born about 1845

Joseph H. WEATHERS (Joe on my original list), born about July 1847

Augustus WEATHERS (Gus on my original list), borh about Aug 1850

Willis Miles WEATHERS (Miles on my original list), born 29 Mar 1852, died 4 Jan 1926

I had seen the name Simpson WEATHERS in the census pages and your inquiry has just cleared up the small mystery - Gus=Augustus=Simpson A.

My handwritten list does not list a spouse for Gus, but lists children Lena (your grandmother), Mary, Carrie, Mae, Lulu, Dory, and Gordon.

Nor does the list include a spouse for Lena - just children Monte, Claudie, Leola, Joe and Claire

I have more information on my wife's side of the Weathers clan, many of whom still live in the Chickamauga, Georgia area.

Do you have any information on the ancestors of Hartwell and his wife Mary Black? All I know is he was from North Carolina and she from South Carolina where they were married.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Dave Roccaforte 22 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Randall West 11 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
helenmeers 5 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
ckonarski3 30 Nov 2002 3:48AM GMT 
sherry weathe... 28 Oct 2013 2:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic