Search for content in message boards

Looking for mystery birth announcement or related articles

Replies: 1

Re: Looking for mystery birth announcement or related articles

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 6:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Oct 2012 6:49PM GMT
A suggestion, it worked. It was out of Idaho when I did this. I looked at the prepared birth cert for half an hour then realized the numbers are probably related to two indexes, one factual and one to track a probate adoption. I was correct. I went to the original leather bound huge birth record books at the county offices. Cost me five dollars for an hour or so to examine the book in person. Entries were done by hand in pen in the 1950s. I had a hint--check the original records for at least two days in either direction from the reported dob. In the case I was investigating and was writing down for the five days every birth in the county of the right sex I wanted to find. Then I figured out the numbering system and a birth matched the number in one of two columns in the book on the page, so the correct dob and doc showed for a birth that day of the right sex. I lucked out,there were only five births that day in the county so increasing accuracy probability, too. I wrote letters, got the social welfare dept to share a minor amount of info. They gave a surname of the mother which matched the book, and from the first letter I had a first name of the mother and a general location of where she was from "a farm girl from east side of Iowa", Later I phoned and eventually reached the doctor who said he did a lot of volunteer efforts at the time of birth at one certain hospital, he said it was almost entirely unwed mothers. Going back to my roster I had written and those number(s) I found one of the two numbers on the cert match a number in the handwritten official books, thus giving me the actual birth mother maiden name only misspelled slightly. I finally tracked her and found out the father's name from her over the phone. IN your case, if they were not married and he was a prominent business person then very likely that won't go anywhere as he would be trying to hide the fact he fathered the child of a young and unwed mother. Abortion was illegal perhaps then, too. You might find sympathetic help by asking smart questions of the right person in the county probate records office, perhaps they can see the probate records or adoption records if you have a medical reason to ask your question(s). The mother probably had to report the father's name to someone to get social welfare or general assistance benefits (money).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
TaraX77 18 Jun 2012 1:46AM GMT 
PHBADave 16 Oct 2012 12:40AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions