Search for content in message boards

1923 obituary

Replies: 2

Re: BOWERS, ALABAMA

Posted: 28 Aug 2012 11:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Which of her children are you researching?
I'm interested in the "Francis Bowers," age 6, listed as the daughter of John (age 21) and Sarah (age 27), on the 1880 Cullman Co, AL census. John most likely is not her biological father as he would be about 15 when she was born, and John and Sarah married in 1876, just before her 3rd birthday.
I'm pretty sure that this Francis is Mary Francis McDougal, who married Jesse Franklin Rowlett in 1892, Harrison, Boone, AR. My theory is that Sarah married a McDougal and was widowed when she married John Bowers. I have circumstantial evidence:
- Jesse (Frank) and Mary Francis had an adjoining farm to John and Sarah in the Oak Grove district, Harrison (1910 census).
-Consistently, M.F. lists her birthplace as AL on censuses; her mother's birthplace as GA. Sarah was born in Pickens Co, GA
-Connection made from community happenings in the Harrison newspaper:
2 separate visits made by the "Fayette Bowers" family of Meridian, ID. They stayed with JF and MF Rowlett and are listed as "relatives." I found "William Lafayette Bowers" on Ancestry trees. Most list his mother as "Sarah A. McDougal," but a couple have her as "Sarah A. Gipson."
Sarah's ID death certificate lists her parents as "Johnas Gibson" and "Elisa Walker." Jonas Lafayette and Eliza are living in Houston, Winston, AL, in 1870, and in Cullman, AL, in 1880. (Cullman was formed from Blount. Blount Co is where Sarah "Dougal" married John Bowers.) The Gipsons migrated to Pope Co, AR, where Jonas died in 1889.
-Connection made from community happenings in the Harrison newspaper:
MF is several times mentioned as visiting her sister or "relatives" in Atkins, Pope, AR.
Just prior to John Bower's death in Harrison, Boone, AR, the paper relates that Mrs. Anna Reynolds of Atkins visited her father, J.R. Bowers in 1914. Anna Bowers is listed on several trees as married to William Larimore Reynolds. One tree lists her middle name as Eliza. No trees link her to the John R. and Sarah Bowers family or to any other family. Her birth date and birth place on census records corresponds to those of Ann Bowers, b abt 1878, to John and Sarah.

Only a couple of trees have Francis listed; most leave her off, listing Ann, William Lafayette, Edgar, Ab B, and LeRoy. But the 1900 and 1910 Boone censuses state that Sarah gave birth to 9 children, 6 living. So there is a sixth child.

Mary Francis Rowlett is not listed on any death records in Arkansas, or anywhere else that I can find. I tried to order a death certificate from the state and the reply is that there is none. She is buried in a Harrison cemetery. I cannot find an obituary for John Bowers either, although his death is mentioned in 2 newspapers: 6 Jan 1915 in one and 7 Jan in another.

I'll stop rambling on.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kimberly Rowl... 27 Aug 2012 9:48PM GMT 
ELLinSpain 28 Aug 2012 11:33AM GMT 
Kimberly Rowl... 28 Aug 2012 5:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic