Search for content in message boards

Oakley

Replies: 5
Posted: 18 Oct 2009 1:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
In my reply of last night, I wrote:
> --The "Pa" is to the question whether naturalized or alien. The abbreviation means "Papers", _NOT_ Pending Application as indicated by the other. (I had brought this to their attention before). This means he has filed his papers for citizenship. The process was a FIVE year process.

I'll add more to this explanation. In the instructions to the enumerators is found for the 1900 Census:
151. Column 18. Naturalization.—If the persons is a native of the United States, leave the column blank. If he was born abroad, and has taken no steps toward becoming an American citizen, write "Al" (for alien). If he has declared his intention to become an American citizen and taken out his "first" papers, write "Pa" (for papers). If he has become a full citizen by taking out second or final papers of naturalization, write "Na" (for naturalized).

THAT was the instruction, and also where "Pa" is used. In my comment of last night, I also said:
>"It is not known if these papers was his Declaration of Intention; or the Petition for Citizenship."

While that is not true based on the instructions, I have found persons having filed their petition for naturalization still being shown incorrectly as "Pa" by the enumerator.
So, the correct comment should be:
"IF" the enumerator was accurate in the use of "Pa", then the person had filed his Declaration of Intent to become a citizen; BUT, if they were not accurate, the person "might" have filed his Petition for Citizenship and not yet naturalized.
In the case of Albert Anderson, finding his naturalization documents would prove the answer. But, if he arrived in 1885/1890 as identified on census forms, and had not been naturalized by 1910, it is "my" thought, he hadn't. Naturalization was easier before 1906; but perhaps under the 1906 law, he decided he had better apply.

Ron Bestrom
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hmjgibson_1 5 Jul 2009 11:53PM GMT 
judyartley53 17 Oct 2009 5:34AM GMT 
RBestrom7380 18 Oct 2009 7:57PM GMT 
RBestrom7380 18 Oct 2009 7:10AM GMT 
RBestrom7380 18 Oct 2009 7:55PM GMT 
RBestrom7380 19 Oct 2009 9:30PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions