Search for content in message boards

Oakley

Replies: 5
Posted: 19 Oct 2009 3:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Today, I received an off-list email from Kathy. I don't respond off-list for research or questions (except for very rare occasions, or to thank someone for comments, or agree with them about other information received was wrong). I like to keep all research ON list, for the benefit of future researchers using the archives. Here is the email and answers:

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2009 9:03

> You talked about my great grandmother Lula Allen and not being able to
> find her in the 1900 census, she actuually is named Thisbe Louise Allen
> and is in the 1900 Utah census living with her family. Her father is Daniel
> Allen and they lived in Teasdale,Ut where she was born.

I could not find her living in Teasdale in 1900. I did find the below:
The 1900 Census for Orangeville, Emery Co, Utah
Daniel Allen, born Jan 1838, 42, born in Utah to father born in Oio, mother in Tennessee
Georgina, born August 1866, 33, born in Utah to father born in Ohio, mother in England.
Louisa, born Nov 1886, 13, born in Utah
Knoltan(as written, probably Knowlton), born January 1889 in Utah
John R, born Jan 1889 in Utah
Willard C, born July 1893 in Utah
Amy A, born Dec 1895 in Utah.
Nettie G. Allen, born Feb 1899 in Utah.

The US Census and the Social Security Death Index shows her age a bit later than 1886. The SSDI shows Nov 1888, which is more consistent with her age as listed in the Census. This might just be an enumerator error.

While there is not enough information for me to accept this is the correct family, I found three other family trees on Ancestry.com that shows this is the family of Louisa. Although three other's have this family, I would have to be provided additional information for proof. BUT, it is not necessary in this search, as her family is not in contention.
---From one of the trees:
Thisbe Louise (Lula) Allen, born 30 Nov 1886 in Teasdale, Wayne Co, UT, died 29 Mar 1981 in Burley, Cassia, ID, buried Marion Cemetery, Oakley, Cassia Co, ID.
Father: Daniel James Allen, born 2 Jan 1860 in Provo, UT, died 8 Dec 1928 in Cascade, Valley Co, ID.
Mother: Martha Georgenia Hanks, 20 August 1867 in Parley Park, Summit Co, UT. Died 12 Jan 1902 in Orangeville, Emery, UT.

> Our problem is finding where where my ggrandfather came from and his
> family. I do have a copy of their marriage certificate and it states he was
> from Sweden, I tend to lean that way only because he was the one giving
> the info. On the census there are different birth places because there
> probably were different people giving the info.

While there isn't PROOF that he came from Sweden, that information is consistent with information found. Although the history of events in Scandinavia at the time might have a roll in where he actually lived (Norway was part of Sweden. I had found several persons identified as being Swedish, while in fact they were Norwegians). I don't question the fact he came from Sweden.

> I would love to find out his place of naturalization but I am confused as
> where to begin to look. He claimed to live in Moline,Ill and he married my
> ggrandmother in Quincy,Plumas,Ca then they moved to Id where he lived
> until he died. He claimed to work his way out west from Ill working on the
> railroad so I don't which state to look. If you might any advice as to how to
> determine this it would be greatly appreciated. ...Any advice you may have
> is greatly appreciated.

A family tree by "Charles" CIDEka@aol.com shows her marriage was 19 June 1907 in Quincy, Plumas County, CA. Charles also wrote:
Note: SOURCE: Ancestral File, ver 4.16 / IGI,1994, ver 3.05; Ba: H002084; C ONFLICT: gives dob 30 Nov 1887 / Fam Rec in Poss Charles Irwin Davis , 279 Hillsdale St, Eureka, CA 95501-1720 [ca 1995] [Copied from unda ted Family Group Records, original origin and sources unknown]; Alter nate Spelling: Lulu ALLENSOURCE: Ancestral File, ver 4.16 / IGI,1994 , ver 3.05; Ba: H002084; CONFLICT: gives dob 30 Nov 1887 / Fam Rec i n Poss Charles Irwin Davis, 279 Hillsdale St, Eureka, CA 95501-1720 [ ca 1995] [Copied from undated Family Group Records, original origin a nd sources unknown]; Alternate Spelling: Lulu ALLEN

Her mother died in Orangeville, 1902, she married in Quincy, CA, in 1907. Both Orangeville and Quincy are SMALL communities. By 1910, they were in Twin Falls, ID. Twin Falls "should" have a city directory (listing of persons living in a populated area) by 1910. Although that far back, most had listings of the head of household and didn't show the spouse, but you might get lucky. IF there is such a listing, it might show them in an earlier edition than 1910 (1908 if you're REALLY lucky, 1909 possibly). After 1910, it should show them, then they disappear, showing about the time they moved to Cassia County. You would need to post in Twin Falls.

As to his naturalization. I did give you a link where you could ask for the research, it does cost $20.00 just for the information, then another $20.00 to $35.00 for the documents. But, first, I would try the less costly approach. To become naturalized (again, read the link first link for the process of naturalization I had given you), the person must file in court his Declaration of Intent (to immigrate). It is done in the Superior Court of the County where he lived, or at a US District Court. The US District Courts in Idaho were in Boise, Pocatello, Coeur d'Alene, and Moscow. I wouldn't think he would have gone to one of those. My GUESS, again it is MY GUESS, "IF" he filed at all, it would have been in Twin Falls. The 1910 census "indicated" he had filed, (the "Pa" on the Census). With his moving around, single, until 1906, I (My Guess) would think he just didn't do it. After 1906, his wife "might" have pushed the issue (My Guess). But, in ANY Event, you're first logical place to look is in Twin Falls. Idaho uses the system of seven judicial districts, each with its own administrative judge who is chosen for the post by the district’s other judges. Each county has a District Court, which includes a Magistrate Division. Each District Court also has its own set of rules. There are 41 district judges and 87 magistrate judges in the state. Twin Falls AND Cassia County are in the 5th District.
http://www.co.twin-falls.id.us/5thDistrict2/index.htm
each having a separate court. A call (or visit) to the court clerk could be made to ask about their immigration records. I would suggest a LOCAL volunteer to try that. As the immigration process link I gave you yesterday shows, some court clerks do not know the process or genealogy for that matter, so they just might say the records were given to NARA. A LOCAl researcher would know how to ask them.

For a local researcher, again...Try the Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness volunteers:
Twin Falls: http://www.raogk.org/idaho2.htm
Cassia County: http://www.co.twin-falls.id.us/5thDistrict2/index.htm
Ask the Twin Falls person first (READ THE GUIDELINES). Ask them to look look for immigration records at the District Court in Twin Falls. The Court Clerk would HAVE to know they have them. Also ask if there are City Directories (Polks) back to 1910 (back to about 1900) and forward to about 1920. If so, look for Albert Anderson (there may be more than one, HOPEFULLY one would show his spouse).
Then, after the Twin Falls person provides an answer, then go to the Cassia County and ask the same thing.

If you want to pay the search fee of $20.00, go ahead and try the link given yesterday. One other reason I don't believe he was naturalized: To obtain land under the Homestead Act, you have to prove naturalization. He didn't obtain farm land in this manner. BUT, he may not have wanted to, he may have obtained land in another way, he may not have known about the system.

Twin Falls Rootsweb Board:
http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.ida...

Ron Bestrom
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hmjgibson_1 5 Jul 2009 11:53PM GMT 
judyartley53 17 Oct 2009 5:34AM GMT 
RBestrom7380 18 Oct 2009 7:57PM GMT 
RBestrom7380 18 Oct 2009 7:10AM GMT 
RBestrom7380 18 Oct 2009 7:55PM GMT 
RBestrom7380 19 Oct 2009 9:30PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions