Search for content in message boards

Murder in Rocky Bar

Replies: 3

Re: Murder in Rocky Bar

L.Pusey McDonald (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2004 11:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Riley, Moreno, Steele, Chappell, & Nichols
I am very interested in your photo of the "Murder at Rocky Bar", since I have done considerable research about Rocky Bar and its early days. My ancestor, B.J. Nichols lived there from 1864 to 1886, and his son, Newt Nichols, lived in the area until his death in 1927. Then my grandfather was in the area from 1904 until the 1950's. They were gold miners and the Nichols owned and operated the toll road from Pine to Rocky Bar, and would probably have known the victims in your photograph.

I have read many of the old newspapers of the area that have stories of Rocky Bar, but have not (yet) found one about your victims. I think it is unlikely the house is still there, because there are just a few buildings remaining the last time I visited in 2002. I have photos of most of the remaining buildings, and will compare them to the one in your picture.

Please contact me by direct e-mail if you have more questions that I might be able to help you with. It has been my goal to someday write up the stories of some of the many who traveled that toll road. It was the only route to Rocky Bar for many years--until the road was extended on to Altanta, which is still even more remote.

Thanks, Linda

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
silvertooth 15 Jan 2004 12:49AM GMT 
shawna 15 Jan 2004 4:45AM GMT 
L.Pusey McDonald 7 Feb 2004 6:32AM GMT 
skeletoncreek... 21 Nov 2012 1:28AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic