Search for content in message boards

The Curse of Idaho

Replies: 3

The Curse of Idaho

Posted: 2 Apr 2011 4:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Crooks
*Crossposted from "Unknown" "Ada County" and "Blain County" forums*

OK, it's probably not Idaho's fault, but in actuality, I have two people in my tree (brothers, to be exact) who both left Kentucky and moved to Idaho and I don't know why. One died within a year of moving out there. Almost exactly 30 years later, the other one did, too. And I don't know why. And, on top of all that, it would seem their father went out there first prior to 1910 and, guess what? I don't know why! :)

So, I'm wondering a few things about Idaho and what happened to my family out there. First, let me give a little information.

In 1900, my gggf, a widower named James Gibson Crooks, was living in a boarding house in Kentucky with his older son (Richard Earl Crooks - 17 at the time) and working as a team driver. His younger son (Charles Gibson Crooks) was living with his maternal grandfather and his two sisters. Both boys were born in Colorado when their father moved out there to try to make his fortune in the Colorado Silver Boom. He had an adventurous spirit, I suppose.

Some time between 1900 and 1910, James moved to Casey, Blaine County, Idaho. Richard was still living in Kentucky with his wife, Jennie, and three daughters, Margaret, Georgia, and Dorothy, working as a blacksmith at a steel mill. I don't know why, but at some point between mid 1910, when the census was taken, and January, 1912, Richard moved to Idaho and was working as a teamster. I'm not certain yet if his family was with him. On Feb. 1, 1912, Richard died in Boise, Ada County, Idaho.

After Richard's death, James moved back to Kentucky, where, by 1920, he lived with his son, Charles (still unmarried) in the house of his daughter's father-in-law. In 1927, James died. Some time between then and 1941, Charles moved out to Idaho where he died as well on Jan 3, 1941, in Wendell, Gooding County, Idaho. Richard and Charles were both buried back in Kentucky.

So, my questions are as follows:

1) What was going on in Idaho in the early 20th Century that could have drawn a teamster/miner/adventurous spirit such as my grandfather and one of his sons out there, and why again in the late 1920s/1930s for the other son?

2) When did he go out there?

3) When (specifically) and why did Richard go to Idaho and was he alone or with his family.

4) How did Richard die?

5) When and why did Charles go to Idaho?

6) How did he die?

The first question is what I'm really bringing to this forum. Given that, I could probably start piecing together the rest. However, if anyone has any insight on the rest, I would appreciate it, as well.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Songer
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
SongerMark 2 Apr 2011 10:44PM GMT 
judyartley53 8 May 2011 5:56AM GMT 
RBestrom7380 8 May 2011 8:31AM GMT 
scheney152 11 May 2011 7:30PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic