"The Hub of Eastern Idaho"
A history of Rigby, Idaho, 1885-1976
Author: Patricia Lyn Scott
Copywrite: 1976 by
The City of Rigby, Idaho
THE RIGBY STAR (est. 1903)
Information taken from
Chapter IV - Incorporation - 1903
Names associated with The Rigby Star newspaper
J. W. HARRY was asked to establish a newspaper by a group of concerned citizens. The first issue was dated March 5, 1903.
Mr. Harry disposed of the newspaper to the Rigby Publishing Co., on March 11, 1904 with George E. HILL as editor and A. T. JOHNSON as manager. But, after just two issues, the management changed to C.W. POOLE as manager and M.T PECK as editor.
Mr. Peck dropped as editor March 24, 1904 with Mr. Poole continuing until December 23, 1904.
L.E. HiCKS took charge of The Rigby Star from December 23, 1904 to January 5, 1905. Mr. Hicks professed to be a newspaper man, but the local businessmen were not giving the paper the advertising he wanted.
Due to lack of advertising, Hicks lambasted the businessmen for not advertising in the newspaper and a short time later Hicks was asked to leave town, which he did.
J. W. JONES read an advertisement placed in the Salt Lake Tribune by the businessmen, for an a position opening as EDITOR of The Rigby Star and came to Rigby.
January 5, 1905, E.A. STRONG became proprietor with J.W. Jones as editor of the newspaper.
J.W. JONES purchased the newspaper 4 months later (1905).
The Rigby Star remained with the Jones Family for the next 69 years.