Search for content in message boards

History of the Rigby Star

Replies: 1

History of the Rigby Star

Posted: 19 Jul 2010 9:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
I worked for The Rigby Star from mid-1956 until the fall of 1959, when I went away to college. It had been owned for several years by the Jones family — the descendants of two brothers, who were deceased when I went to work there. The editor and publisher was one of the grande dames of Idaho journalism, Hope Bennett Jones, the widow of one of the those brothers. She wrote a weekly column entitled "Here and There," and she was as good a columnist in that little town as Herb Caen was in San Francisco. She was feared as much as she was admired. She was a great and good woman and I loved her. One of my daughters, Ann Hope Doud Hernandez, shares her name. Hope's daughter, Jane Ann, went to Idaho State, got married, and probably sold the paper after Hope died. The other side of the family was represented by two brothers, Lawrence and Lyndon, who were the printers. They were all good Mormons and solid people, pillars of their community who left the town a better place because they lived and practiced local journalism there.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cdoud152 20 Jul 2010 3:52AM GMT 
diskoverit 7 Jul 2014 1:40AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions