Search for content in message boards

Manassah and Elizabeth Camp

Replies: 6

Re: Manassah and Elizabeth Camp

Posted: 21 Aug 2011 10:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Boone, Williams
hi.. I am looking for Zeb Williams also... he was my grandfather Crenshaws dad... this is all i have been told, if you have any further information, Please share... Regards, Lisa Boone

Hi Lisa,
Crenshaw Boone was the son of Harriet Boone & Zebidee Williams of Nash Co. They were not married, but Harriet had at least several children by him, and they were living together in 1850, and possibly later. Zeb was a white man who worked as a turpentine laborer in Nash Co., and Harriet was a mixed race woman, the daughter of Billy & Fannie Boone, free people of color. Billy Boone was probably at least half white, probably more, but I strongly suspect that his wife, Fannie, may have been white because that was what she & the children were listed as in 1850; the children must have all been very fair skinned enough to look entirely white. The thing about North Carolina is that when a white person *married* a person of color, the white person thereafter became known as "mulatto" or even black, no matter what the person looked like. So, for as long as Billy & Fannie were alive or at least for those children still living with them, the family was listed as mulatto, but by 1880 after both parents were dead, the family started being listed as white and remained so. One daughter, Jane, was married to Abner Richardson, son of Hardy Richardson & Dorcas Pope-Boone of Halifax Co., and in 1880, her Richardson family were listed as 7/8 Indian and 1/8 white; that was likely because the Richardsons were said to have been at least part Native American Indian. Abner & Jane's children also were thereafter listed as white; interestingly enough, Abner's siblings and their families, who all lived in Halifax & Warren Counties, were always mulatto or black and many of them filed applications with the Dawes Commission and the Eastern Band of the Cherokee in 1896 for acceptance, but were all turned down. The applications basically said that their mother, Dorcas (some of them gave her maiden name as Pope and some as Boone) was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian, and some said that both Hardy & Dorcas, were full-blooded Cherokees; there is a lot of doubt about that among the family, but that's another matter. Photos of Hardy & Dorcas Richardson's daughter, Eliza Louisa Richardson, and of the children of their son, Alfred, show that the family looked a mixture of black, Indian, and a lot of white for some of them. I haven't seen any photos of Billy & Fannie's children, but I am pretty sure that they must have looked white since they were able to cross over entirely to the white population by 1900.

Harriet died in February 1879 of consumption (tuberculosis) but Zeb Williams had disappeared after 1860; I found that he had joined the Confederate Army in 1861, but died of disease while serving on January 15, 1864. I am not sure, but I believe that Zeb was the son of Drewry Williams & Millie Eatman-Williams who were living in Nash Co. not too far from him in 1850; also in 1850, Zeb & Harriet were living amongst Eatman family who were Millie's siblings. (the will of THEOPHILUS EATMAN dated Oct 4 1848, probated August 1851 in Nash County Court, says this:
Wife BEEDY - lend to her 90 acres on Mill Stone Branc, slave Fan; etc; after her death, sd property to my daughter ELISHA EATMAN. Son GRINER(?) EATMAN- 4 silver dollars. Daughter MILLY WILLIAMS - $50, 73 acres near where DRURY WILLIAMS now lives... )

Deloris

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
David L. Camp 29 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Shelley Kuther 29 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT 
David L. Camp 30 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT 
srice1 30 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Viettia Newcomb 30 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT 
joguilin 26 Sep 2009 8:05PM GMT 
Luxurybabii 21 Aug 2011 4:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic