Search for content in message boards

James Shaw, Clara Harrington 1889

Replies: 3

Re: James Shaw, Clara Harrington 1889

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 10:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am the great grand daughter of Clara Shaw and was raised by her in Klamath Falls, Or. I can clarify some of your questions. It is true that Clara and James moved to Idaho and there had children: Frank, who graduated from Stanford and married Bess and lived for many years in Long Beach, WA., where he taught school and raised beautiful show goats. I spent a lot of time there and have fond memories of playing with the goats. He had children but all I remember about them is that they were named Kevin and Kyle.
Beta was reported to have died when thrown from a horse in a rushing river where he was trapped in a natural rock bridge.
Ruth (Melinda) Shaw was my grandmother. She adopted me but I lived mostly with Clara (affectionately known to friends as "Shazie." As far as I was concerned, she was a saint. She was much beloved by everyone and spent most of her time baking and gardening. Very beautiful, very charming.
Her husband, James apparently left her in Idaho to raise the three children on her own. All of the children were born in Lewiston, and the comment about Nez Pierce territory rang a bell. She supported her family by baking. She delivered her goods on horseback with an Indian friend who provided protection.
It was Ruth who married John Ray, who owned Owl drug stores in Portland. He died at a relatively young age of a rare blood disease, leaving her to raise her three children, Jack, Mary Jane and Lawrence (my biological father)
In any case, It appears that I have a vast database of family history, but I live in Utah and sun is a rare commodity this time of year, so I must get to the garden.
Please contact me with questions.
Sincerely, Victoria
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Joan 20 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Viettia Newcomb 20 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT 
vokeeffe_1 13 Apr 2013 12:27AM GMT 
vokeeffe_1 12 Apr 2013 4:32PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions