Search for content in message boards

Family: Stagner

Replies: 2

Family: Stagner

Philip Garcia (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2006 10:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stagner, Rhetts
I am trying to trace a history for my grandfather who was adopted by one William Stagner, wife Elizabeth Hall Stagner, son Frank H. Stagner. My grandfather''s name was Everett Rhetts but was adopted as...Frank H. Stagner. According to an old letter found many years after his death in the Philippines, where he retired as an Army veteran from the Spanish American War, William Stagner and Elizabeth Hall's son, Frank died as a young child. Everett was then adopted by Stagner (Elizabeth was a step-brother to Everett). As he said in his letter, Wm Stagner wanted to stake him on some promising mining claims and since a claim in the name of his son, Frank, was due to 'bond' or as I understand, leave his possession, he adopted Everett with the name of his son to keep the claim in the family. Records supposedly are recorded in Wardner, Idaho. He mentioned a strike in Eagle, Idaho but I note that seems quite a distance to the south and looks more like farming territory rather than mining gulches. All this took place around 1887. Is there another old city near Wardner formerly named Eagle City? All named in this query originally emigrated from Missouri after the Civil War to the (now) Montana gold strike area near Townsend, Montana. Gold was discovered there by former Confederate officers, imprisoned in a final battle, who had been forcefully exiled from Missouri toward the end of the war.

Thanks to all for any information.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Philip Garcia 30 Apr 2006 4:24AM GMT 
Ccfrancis 9 Oct 2011 4:28AM GMT 
anjinsan11 9 Oct 2011 8:59AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic