Search for content in message boards

Need help solving mystery

Replies: 6

Re: Need help solving mystery

Posted: 20 Aug 2010 8:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm by no means an old-timer or an expert, but when I Googled staples corner cemetery, I was shown a link to a page referencing that name. The page was removed, but the Google cache said: "Sutherland Cemetery was a pioneer cemetery established on the farm of Silas and Lucinda Sutherland. Silas Sutherland, son of Silas Sutherland and Dolly Mason, came to Palatine Township in 1837 and settled in Deer Grove. He was just one of many members of the large Sutherland family to settle here. Silas died during the Civil War in the battle of Kenesaw Mountain in 1864, and he is buried in Marietta National Cemetery in Georgia. The Sutherlands deeded the land to Cook County on June 10, 1863. It served as a burial ground for early Palatine Township settlers at the east end of Deer Grove in the Staples Corners area (Rand and Dundee Roads). The earliest known burial was in 1841, the latest in 1957. The Sayles family once lived across from the cemetery and therefore it has erroneously been called Sayles Cemetery on occasion. It also has been referred to as the Staples Cemetery, because of its proximity to the Rand, Dundee area, which was known as Staples Corners." There's also a Flickr page for it (as Sutherland Cemetery). It appears to be between Rand and OLD Hicks Road (which is east of Rand, but doesn't cross it, as the "new" Hicks Road appears to).

When I Googled quintens corners, "Quentin Corners" in Lake County is the first hit, BUT the 4th link down references a "Quentin Corners neighborhood in Palatine, Illinois". The neighborhood shown is NW of the intersection of Rand and Dundee. It is north of Lake Cook Road, so would be just inside Lake County. The first hit lists "Quintens Corners" as an alternate unofficial name. So you're in the right area. Maybe there was no death certificate issued at the time. Find A Grave has a marker for an Ann Hall, born 1813, died 1890. That would be the right age, could the year you have be wrong? Of course, the name's not that uncommon, so this could be a different person. Hopefully some of this might help you out. Good luck--Christine
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
vickih203172 20 Aug 2010 11:40PM GMT 
cvhbauman 21 Aug 2010 2:14AM GMT 
Nancy Loomis ... 21 Aug 2010 4:07AM GMT 
vickih203172 23 Feb 2013 9:54PM GMT 
Nancy Loomis ... 27 Feb 2013 11:41AM GMT 
pattycakes934 23 Feb 2013 9:23PM GMT 
vickih203172 23 Feb 2013 9:38PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions