Search for content in message boards

newspaper microfilms - old days

Replies: 4

newspaper microfilms - old days

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 5:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am interested in early Lake County newspapers as a source for family information that has not been available in other standard sources. My family members lived in Deerfield twp, Libertyville and then Waukegan. They were Irish Catholics. Years of interest - 1830s to 1885

Would like to hear from local residents, your advice for reading microfilms - Waukegan public library? Waukegan genealogy society? Lake County genalogy society? or Newbery in Chicago? Chicago public library?

I have people who died before the years deaths began to be officially recorded in Lake County;(and we were told the church book was "lost in basement") I have a couple 1856 Lake Co. naturalizations indexed on ancestry as Lake Co. dist. court but the records for these that now exist only start in 1864; I have known deaths for which no tombstone and no cem. record (one in 1857 and another in approx 1885) ... and so forth. I cannot think of any other source than newspapers so I hope to hear anyone's advice on what and where to read. I don't know anything about the early county newspapers, whether they had any personal news items at all, or if anyone has indexed vital statistics from them? Would be glad to hear comments from any who have worked with newspaper sources for Lake County. I thought at least if I was reading papers I would learn something of the place and times in which they lived.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CatherineGree... 23 Sep 2012 11:42AM GMT 
emeraldraven3... 24 Sep 2012 12:34PM GMT 
CatherineGree... 24 Sep 2012 3:17PM GMT 
FireRaven 25 Sep 2012 3:00AM GMT 
emeraldraven3... 25 Sep 2012 12:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic