Search for content in message boards

Stringing along some Lake Co. history!

Replies: 0

Stringing along some Lake Co. history!

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 9:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Delano, Phillips, Whitney, Kinnear, Wells, Johnson, Snetsinger
Dear Lake Co. researchers -- I've found a bit of history related to Lake County in a box of string, that I bought at auction at least ten years ago. All kinds of string. Yesterday while putting away Christmas things I was sorting that closet in the basement, I noticed in the box of string, that someone used a cardboard mailer to wrap string around. Inside the thick cardboard mailing tube was a certificate and a letter. It isn't a civil war artifact -- but it is an official certificate of service made in 1931 for a descendant of a civil war soldier, Ira C. Delano. Ira died at age 25 from war wounds in Mississippi. He enlisted at Barrington, Cook County, so at first I did not know of any Lake County connection. I am writing here, because am wondering if any of Ira's Lake Co. relatives might be interested in knowing what became of one branch of the family. The reason I ask is, looked up the name of Ira's parents-- John Delano and Amanda Phillips Delano -- and came upon a posting in a Delano mail-list. A researcher named Liz mentioned reading "Kiss Clara for Me", by Robert J. SNETSINGER - letters from Joseph Whitney to his wife Mary Delano Whitney and daughter Clara Whitney! I know I have seen mention of that book, in the wonderful "Illuminating Lake County" blog. (Mary Delano Whitney would have been Ira's sister. )The researcher who made a query on a Delano surname mail list, " Liz", had an AOL email that doesnt work any more. So this note is for Liz if she ever comes upon my note here, or for any other Lake County family of Ira still around Lake County. Here is what I have pieced together of the family. Ira was the son of John DELANO and Amanda PHILLIPS. Ira married Harriet KINNEAR in Waukegan in 1860. They had one child, Mary Ida Delano who married Willis T. WELLS. in Franklin Co Nebraska; Mary and Willis are both buried in Blackwell, Oklahoma. I have only sketched what I can of the family tree and don't know all the branches (I don't have ancestry subscription for access to trees that may be on there) but it looks like Mary had a son Roy who had a daughter Bertha, and it was Bertha who requested Ira's certificate from Illinois. The box of string I bought at auction was in the estate of Bertha's son Carl Johnson. Here is the information from the certificate itself. Below official heading of the Adjutant General at Springfield Illinois "It is hereby certified that it appears from records of this office, that Ira C. Delano enlisted on 11th day of August, 1862 at Barrington, Illinois. Mustered into the United States Service as a Private, Company #, 113th Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, period of 3 years, on 1st day of October, 1862. Residence when enlisted Barrington, Cook Co., Illinois. Certificate requested by Mrs. Bertha W. Johnson, Wellington Kansas. Age, 23 years; Height, 5 feet 11 1/2 inches; Hair, brown; Eyes, gray; complexion, light. Occupation, farmer; Native of Pompey NY. Died June 10, 1864 of wounds received on battlefield of Guntown, Miss. There is a gold-leaf seal of Illinois, and the paper is tattered and stained, but it was quite an interesting thing to find in the basement closet and I do help all this information helps someone. I hope to see a copy of the book Kiss Clara for Me someday - maybe it mentions Ira.

Find a board about a specific topic