Search for content in message boards

David Patton: Last Seen 1930 Lake Bluff, Illinois

Replies: 4

David Patton: Last Seen 1930 Lake Bluff, Illinois

Posted: 26 May 2014 3:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 May 2014 5:57AM GMT
Hello,

I’m searching for an elusive relative: David Ardis MacLean, Jr (AKA David Patton). This is his birth name (father: David Ardis MacLean and mother: Carmen Baldwin MacLean), born September 25, 1915 in New Orleans, Louisiana. However, he was known as David Patton – in fact, he did not even know his MacLean name until he was much older.

His parents divorced when David was very young, and Carmen remarried to a man named Normand Patton; David became “David Patton” and believed that Normand was his birth father. I have the 1930 Census, where the family is living in Lake Bluff, Illinois; David is missing in the 1940 Census, where the Patton family has moved to Tarrant, Texas (according to this census, the Pattons were living in Chicago, Illinois in 1935, but I have no way of knowing if David is still with them at that date).

A family story relates that, sometime during David’s later teenage years, his mother asked him to take some family records and papers and bring them to someone (who, is unclear). Among these papers was information about David’s birth and his birth father, David Ardis MacLean (who had died in 1929). The story goes that David read these papers, learned the truth, and never went home again.

We’ve been in touch with one or two of the Patton family, and they, too, do not know what happened to David. We, as his family, would love to find out about David. As I said, the last known location of David Patton was in Lake Bluff, IL; he would’ve been about 15 in 1930. It is more than probable that he was involved in WWII. I have found a record of a David E. Patton (“my” David had a middle initial of “M”, but things may have changed since he was a boy, or he may have made a change himself) in WWII draft material, which states he is married – I haven’t found out anything more about this. We also have Social Security Index material which states he dies in 1979, but with no other information.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can look further for David? I feel I have exhausted Ancestry. Perhaps there are other resources available?

I would be so grateful for any ideas, suggestions, pointers concerning research...We, as a family, are very interested in reclaiming our "lost" relative...

Thank you so much,

M
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mloncaric13 26 May 2014 9:54PM GMT 
judyartley53 1 Jul 2014 9:26PM GMT 
mloncaric13 1 Jul 2014 10:14PM GMT 
judyartley261... 2 Jul 2014 8:32PM GMT 
mloncaric13 2 Jul 2014 11:23PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic