Search for content in message boards

Sunset Hill Cem records lost and found

Replies: 0

Sunset Hill Cem records lost and found

Posted: 10 Sep 2013 11:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wilson, Williford, Wade, Ormiston, Cummins, Wasson, Penrod, Glass, Harrison
Just returned from Harrisburg after a wonderful 3 days of genealogy with many pleasant experiences. However, I was kind of horrified to learn that somewhere between the private ownership of Sunset Hill and the city takeover, the records for the older sections of Sunset Hill (esp. those of John H. Wilson addition) have disappeared. I have at least 6 relatives in my Wilson/Williford line (greatgrandparents, great aunts & uncles) buried there without headstones between 1922 - 1973 that are now "lost" to me. All of them died out of town or out of state but were buried in Sunset Hill, and I'm not sure if local funeral homes were involved as a result. I know the ones who died in St. Louis didn't involve H'burg funeral homes, so can check here for those 2. But, does anyone have knowledge of how to get burial records for this type of thing? Would burial permits have been issued in those earlier years? If so, are they at the courthouse or city hall? I'd love to be able to "find" my relatives and mark their graves. On a side note, my family members donated the land for this addition, and in my ggg grandfather's probate I found evidence of sale of about a dozen lots w/owner names, which I will be sending to the current cemetery superintendent to include in their records. Family names for these sales were Homer Wade #108, Ormiston #104, Cummins #82, Wasson #83, Penrod #47, Glass #81, Harrison #94. There is no further ID for these, so unsure in which part of the addition these are located.

Find a board about a specific topic