Search for content in message boards

Was my 2nd great grandfather murdered in Saline County?

Replies: 2

Was my 2nd great grandfather murdered in Saline County?

Posted: 6 Nov 2013 2:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jones, Henderson, Simmons
Well folks this is a juicy peach...this is the story given by my late grandmother June Simmons Baugher:
Sarah Henderson Simmons had lost her husband Joseph Simmons around 1891. They lived in Galiatia and had 4-5 kids. Sometime before 1899 Sarah became involved with Charles C. S. Jones aka "Doc Jones." Sarah became pregnant with my great grandfather James L Simmons (yes she gave him her 1st husbands last name). Doc wanted her to go away with him and forget her other children...and raise James together. She refused. My grandfather did not learn about his bio father till he was 17 years old...which made him very bitter.
My grandmother also said that Doc Jones was killed on the way home from gambling one night. I am well versed in how stories grow through generations.
I recently found Doc Jones wife, Alice A Shaw Jones Harris. It looks as though they had children together when this affair happened. She also married another man much younger than her. So maybe they were both having affairs at the same time?
Anyway, my great grandfather was James L Simmons 1900-1959, his mother Sarah Catherine Henderson Simmons 1863-1941 and Charles C. Sylvester Jones "Doc Jones" 1865-?? After James was conceived in 1899 or 1900.
I haven't been able to find out anything on his death.
Was it murder?
Thanks!
Deb
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
millikan_baug... 6 Nov 2013 9:58PM GMT 
LRoberts1694 28 Dec 2013 5:40PM GMT 
thomasker2 28 Feb 2014 10:14PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions