Search for content in message boards

WILL DO FREE LOOK-UPS, WILLIAMSON CO.

Replies: 185

Re: Samuel S. Griggs died circa 1883 - need obit in Marion Monitor

Posted: 27 Feb 2010 7:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Lucinda A. Crist Davis Griggs Westbrook, whose maiden name was Lucinda Amardine Crist, was a daughter of George Crist and Lucinda Duckworth. She first married James Davis, then Samuel S. Griggs and then lastly, James William Westbrook in Johnson County, Illinois in 1885.

Lucinda Amardine Crist first married James DAVIS on September 17, 1868 in Moultrie County, Illinois. He died circa 1875 in Illinois and then Lucinda Crist Davis, widow of James Davis, married Samuel S. Griggs in Illinois? (WHERE?) about 1878 (WHEN?). He was a widower at the time as he had first married Elsie Ankney, and she died on March 25, 1871 in Piatt County, Illinois (buried in Mackville or Atwood, Illinois Cemetery). Then Samuel S. Griggs and Lucinda Crist Davis Griggs moved to Johnson County, Illinois where Samuel S. Griggs died in an explosion at his sawmill about 1883. Then Lucinda Crist Davis Griggs married James William Westbrook in Johnson County on Nov 15, 1885, but divorced James W. Westbrook before she left Marion, Illinois (would like to get the divorce records if they were any) and moved to Gainesville, Cooke County, Texas. James William Westbrook had a first cousin with the same name, and he is confused with the one I speak about sometimes. His cousin, James William Westbrook (son of Lewis Westbrook) was a teacher in Johnson County, Illinois.

My James William Westbrook whom I am researching as a collateral line, was a son of Francis Marion Westbrook, who owned the New York Store on the square in Marion, Illinois. I think my Lucinda Crist Davis Griggs Westbrook learned about the retail business there from her father-in-law, F. M. Westbrook as she opened a store in Gainesville, Texas after coming to Texas.

F. M. Westbrook was born in Gallatin County, Illinois on April 23, 1821. He was the youngest of 12 children and his father was James Westbrook and his mother was Anna McGowen Westbrook. F. M. Westbrook did have a brother, Lewis Albert Westbrook, who was born about 1830 and in 1905 he lived 10 miles south of Marion. They had another brother, Samuel Westbrook, who was born about 1809 and in 1905 he lived in Eldorado, Saline County, Illinois.

Francis Marion Westbrook came to Marion in January 1857 and first opened a grocery store there. He opened the dry goods store in 1900 on the south side of the Square at corner of South Market Street. F. M. Westbrook married Paulina J. Lafferty on January 26, 1855 and had three children: James William, Willis Francis, and Daisy Westbrook, who becamse wife of C. E. Mitchell. F. M. Westbrook built a two-story, Queen Anee style home in 1890 on the southeast corner of Marion and Buchanan Streets, in Marion and died there on 3 Dec 1910.

His son, James W. Westbrook "Jim" was somewhat of a "spoiled" scoundrel as he gambled too much at the race track and "partied" too much and that is why my g-g-grandmother, Lucinda, divorced James W. Westbrook even though she was pregnant with their child, William C. Westbrook, who was born in Cooke County, Texas in August 1887 after she arrived there. She was a strong fascinating woman. She first married James Davis, a widower who had at least one child, Artilius Davis. Then James Davis died and she married my ancestor, Samuel S. Griggs, a widower with several children (I am descended from Lucinda and this second husband Samuel S. Griggs) as they had three children, my ancestor being Benjamin Crist Griggs born in Johnson County, Illinois on December 4, 1879. Then, Samuel S. Griggs died about 1883 and she married James William Westbrook. Apparently after Lucinda divored him, she took all these kids, some of whom were grown and one or two had already gone to Texas, and moved all of them to Gainesveille, Cooke County, Texas. After she left for Texas, apparently James William Westbrook matured and/or cleaned up his act as he was later elected Mayor of Marion in 1893 and AGAIN in 1894, and became a merchant and moved to Oklahoma City before 1905 where his brother-in-law, C. E. Mitchell was also in business. He is buried in Marion, Illinois.

My Samuel S. Griggs, second husband of Lucinda Crist Davis Griggs Westbrook, had a lumber mill in Tunnell Hill, Johnson County, Illinois and provided lumber for many of the wooden sidewalks in several cities including Marion Illinois. I first found mention of this in the Marion Monitor newspaper (on-line) of October 11, 1880 when as S. S. Griggs he provided lumber. Once again his company as GRIGGS, HILL & Co proved lumber as mentioned in the April 14, 1881 Marion Monitor newspaper. I am seeking an obituary about him when he died in the explosion at his mill in Tunnell Hill about 1883 and cannot find where he is buried. I have not been able to find the Marion Monitor on-line for 1883-1884 and there should have been an obit about his death in the newspaper. Samuel S. Griggs had a brother, Benjamin B. Griggs, who owned the Griggs Pressed Brick Works in Marion, located on East College Street, near the Fair Ground. Am seeking a photos of any of these including the Griggs Bros. Brick Works too. The home of Benjamin B. Griggs, erected in 1900 was also located on E. College Street. His sons, Benjamin Eula Griggs and Sydney C. Griggs in 1904 purchased the interest of their father - thus business becamse Griggs Brothers Brick Works. Benjamin B. Griggs and his brother, Samuel S. Griggs were natives of Perry County, Ohio and were sons of Benjamin and Anna Struble or Strubel Griggs. Benjamin B. Griggs married Sarah Margaret Fisher in 1867 and both brothers came to Moultrie County, Illinois, then Saline County, Illnois then to Johnson County, Illinois with his brother, Samuel S. Griggs who stayed in Tunnell Hill, Johnson County, Illinos. Benjamin B. Griggs came in 1898 to Marion, Williamson County, Illinois. He married secondly to Miss Pauline Campbell of Marion in 1904 afther the death of first wife, Sarah Margaret Fisher Griggs. Some of this info comes from 1905 Historical Souvenir of Williamson County, Illinois by J. F. Wilcox. The entire book can be found on-line at:
http://www.archive.org/stream/historicalsouven00effi/histori...

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
patriciastale... 28 Feb 2008 8:59PM GMT 
Deborah_Fehr1... 5 Mar 2008 8:49PM GMT 
CFrame01 27 Feb 2010 2:32PM GMT 
patriciastale... 27 Feb 2010 3:04PM GMT 
CFrame01 9 Mar 2010 1:16AM GMT 
nonniandpapa 26 Aug 2012 8:35PM GMT 
CFrame01 3 Sep 2012 5:30PM GMT 
patriciastale... 27 Feb 2010 3:20PM GMT 
daverichardso... 27 Aug 2012 1:24PM GMT 
StraethamCain 6 Jun 2013 2:56PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions