Search for content in message boards

McHenry Johnson family - Jacksonville, Morgan Co, Illinois died 1833

Replies: 12

Re: McHenry Johnson 2 Marriages - Jacksonville, Morgan Co, Illinois

Posted: 4 Jun 2012 3:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
McHenry Johnston of Bond County Illinois
------
From Illinois Statewide Marriage Index (Johnson as spelled)
JOHNSON, MCHENRY GILMORE, MARGARET 1820-11-05 A 109 BOND
JOHNSON, MCHENRY RUTHERFORD, NANCY 1823-01-22 A 112 BOND
=======
From Mt. Gilead Cumberland Presbyterian Church & Cemetery History 1819-1993 by Gerald E. Jenner
From Pg 108 James Johnston family
"James Johnston was born between 1760 and 1770. His wife's name was Jane...
The earliest land records available to Wanda Buss, who researched his family, indicate that he acquired land 20 Oct 1817 in Sec 7, Twn 5 N, Range 3 W of the 3rd Principal Meridian. That is the section in which Mt. Gilead Cumberland Presbyterian Church is located... The known children of James and Jane Johnston, Sr. wer: James, Jr.; John C; and Sarah M. (or H.) Johnston. Zillah and McHenry Johnston were living in Bond County when Mt. Gilead Church was organized. They were involved with the church and the community and they may have been members of the James Johnston family. However, neigher of them were listed in the wills of either James or Jane Johnston."

More of this family and the children are discussed between pages 108 and 114. I found this book in the Independence Missouri Midwest Genealogy Center. I believe the book can be found for sale online.

From Pg 114 McHenry Johnston
"McHenry Johnston in the age range of 16-26 was living in Ripley Township at the time of the 1820 census. Like Zillah (Johnston) Comer, he may not have been a child of James and Jane Johnston, Sr., but there is some evidence that he might have been, even though he was not listed in the will of either James or Jane Johnston. He was old enough to vote in the first election held in Bond County at Perrysville in 1817. He is one of ninety-one men who voted to choose three men to represent Bond County at a meeting to form the state government of Illinois. On 5 Nov 1820 he married Margaret Gilmore. She was between 20 and 25 years of age. She was a daughter of Judge John anad Eleanor Gilmore. She died at the age of about 25 years and she was buried in the Gilmore plot in Mt. Gilead Cemetery, along with her father, who was a Bond County Treasurer and Judge, her mother, Eleanor, and her sisters, Martha, Jane D., and Polly (Gilmore) Rutherford, wife of James B. Rutherford, the first hat maker in Greenville who started making hats in 1822. On 23 Jan 1823, McHenry Johnston married Nancy Rutherford. She was probably a sister of James B. Rutherford, but her relationship to James B. Rutherford is not known."
==================
James B. Rutherford (b. 1795 Lincoln Co. KY, married Polly Kelly Gilmore in Christian County Kentucky July 12, 1817.)
James B. Rutherford was my great-grandfather (my great-grandmother, his 2nd wife Jane Grigg Jay, married Sept.30, 1846).
The Gilmores and Rutherfords were in Bond before the 1820 census. Both families are mentioned numerous times in the history of Bond County Illinois. While James B. did have a sister named Nancy; that Nancy had married a Stephen Murphy and seems to have remained in Adair Co. KY. Allen Comer, husband of Zillah Johnston, was a witness to the will of James B. Rutherford.
All of these Gilmores, Rutherfords, Comers, and Johnstons are found connected to Mt. Gilead Presbyterian Church.

James B. Rutherford also had a brother named William. In 1819 Green Co. KY (next door to Adair) a William Ruthford (sic) married a Nancy Miller. I have been unable to track or prove the connection, but I believe that this Nancy could have been the widow of William Rutherford; and as such was the sister-in-law of James B. Rutherford, and the Nancy who married McHenry Johnston.
The document from the Bond County clerk does not indicate that Nancy Rutherford had been previously married.... nor does it indicate that McHenry Johnson was presiously married.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RDeatherage93... 21 Apr 2012 4:57PM GMT 
ahieser 10 May 2012 2:03PM GMT 
Merilyn2414 4 Jun 2012 9:47PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions