Search for content in message boards

Luken, Ketman, Potts, Rainier, Ramler, Pfeiffer, Dittoe, Moran

Replies: 2

Luken, Ketman, Potts, Rainier, Ramler, Pfeiffer, Dittoe, Moran

Posted: 18 Dec 2002 7:04PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Luken, Ketman, Potts, Rainier, Ramler, Pfeiffer, Dittoe, Moran
This book has no cover, and no index, and no author. I bought it on Ebay; it just has the insides, but it is full of Indiana biographies. I am not researching this family, just thought I would share. I do not know anymore about these families or these surnames. NOTE: I don’t know if there is any additional mention of this family in the book, it has no index. I do not want to sell this book. I am typing the biographies from it.

Typed by Lora Radiches:

Surnames in this biography are: Luken, Ketman, Potts, Rainier, Ramler, Pfeiffer, Dittoe, Moran,

LAWRENCE H. LUKEN. Within more recent years druggists have ceased to be merely apothecaries, and have branched out in different directions until today they handle many and varied lines of goods, especially those relating to toilet articles and luxuries of a similar nature, and there are but few who do not conduct a soda fountain. The birth of Lawrence H. Luken occurred at Richmond, August 4, 1884, and he is a son of Augustus and Elizabeth (Ketman) Luken, natives of Cincinnati, Ohio, where they were married. They came to Richmond, Indiana, not long after their marriage, and Mr. Luken was a clerk in the drug store of C. E. Potts, one of the older druggists of the city. After three years, in 1872, Mr. Luken and Joseph Rainier bought the business from C. E. Potts, and continued to conduct it until 1908, when Mr. Ramler sold his interest to his son, Edward Rainier. Eight years later Mr. Luken bought the interest of Edward Rainier, and continued at the old stand. Subsequently he sold the building to the First National Bank and moved one door west, incorporated the business under the present name, with himself as president, Mrs. Luken as vice president and his son as secretary and treasurer. From the time of the incorporation to the death of Mr. Luken, in April, 1927, the officers remained the same, but since then Lawrence H. Luken has been president; Mrs. Luken vice president; and Carl Pfeiffer, secretary and treasurer. The A. G. Luken Drug Company is the oldest, largest and finest wholesale and retail drug house at Richmond, and its territory is a large one, and one that is expanding with each year. For some years A. G. Luken served as secretary of the Indiana Pharmaceutical Association. While he was a Democrat, he was not very active in politics. The first wife of A. G. Luken died in 1902, but his second wife survives and still resides at Richmond. Lawrence H. Luken was reared at Richmond and attended the parochial school and Notre Dame University. He has grown up in the drug company of which he is chief executive, and his interests are centered in it. He was married in 1910 to Miss Margaret M. Dittoe, born at Fort Wayne, Indiana, a daughter of Joseph and Margaret (Moran) Dittoe, natives of Lancaster, Ohio, and Fort Wayne, Indiana, respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Luken have four children: Helen, Augustine, Catherine and James. The family belongs to Saint Mary’s Catholic Church. Mr. Luken is a Democrat, but, like his father, he does not aspire to public honors. He belongs to the Knights of Columbus, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and other organizations, in all of which he is deservedly popular. When a concern grows with a community, passes through the different changes of two generations, and still holds the confidence and patronage of the community, then it may well lay claim to being representative of the best element of the place, and this is the case of the A. G. Luken Drug Company.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lora1957 19 Dec 2002 2:04AM GMT 
Cynthia Adams 26 Oct 2004 4:36PM GMT 
geoqueen 4 Jan 2013 2:42AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions