Search for content in message boards

YOUNG, JENKINS, BARET, SHERROW, Newcastle Twp.

Replies: 10

Re: YOUNG, JENKINS, BARET, SHERROW, Newcastle Twp.

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 6:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
To Denver Detective,

As for a connection to the Young's, the answer is negative. Michael mentions that Philip Young emigrated from Germany. Mine came from north of Strasbourg, France circa 1771 to the Lancaster, PA area, subsequently moved north to Lycoming County, PA before 1790, before dropping down to Union County, PA. After that they started moving west, but my direct Young ancestors moved to Darke County, Ohio.

As for connections in Fulton County, Indiana I follow the surnames Wales. If other people's guess is correct, Mary Weirick married James Wales and these are direct ancestors for me. Two Wales brothers moved to the Sandusky County, Ohio area before ending up in Fulton County, IN. Mary's brother should be Colonel George Weirick. The Jacob Weirick that married Mary Margaret Smith, daughter of Leonard Smith and Susanna Breyfolge should be the son of Colonel George Weirich and Elizabeth Frederick.

I also follow the Swartzlander surname. Elizabeth Wales, daughter of James Wales and Mary Weirick(?) married George Swartzlander and I descend from this union. George Swartzlander and various Weirick's ended up in Kosciusko County, Indiana and lived either adjacent or within a few miles of each other, when one views the land atlas of that time.

In Indiana, most of the names I follow are concentrated in Fulton and Kosciusko Counties, so I suspect we should have additional matches. However, my database has zero Jenkins, Sherrow, or Baret as surnames.

You mention the Smith's. My interest is the Smith's comes from this short bio from the Annals of Buffalo County:
Michael Smith, the great-grandfather of our subject, became the owner of two farms on the Furnace Road and spent a long life in agricultural pursuits, dying in Union County July 2, 1841. He was married (first) to a Miss Bower of Dry Valley, (second) to Miss Susanna Bartges of Mifflinburg, and (third) to Miss Sophia Bickle, whose father, Henry Bickle, was killed by an Indian. My question is who were the children of Michael Smith and the named Miss Bower? The sister of this Miss Bower, Magdalenah Bower or Bauer, married Jacob Young, my direct ancestor again.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Mark Young
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Michael Young 17 Jan 2005 1:39AM GMT 
Joan VanLue 10 Apr 2005 11:09AM GMT 
Joan VanLue 10 Apr 2005 11:14AM GMT 
heavyhighway1... 10 Apr 2005 2:44PM GMT 
Joan VanLue 10 Apr 2005 7:37PM GMT 
Mark Young 18 Apr 2005 1:38PM GMT 
Michael Young 20 Apr 2005 9:09AM GMT 
DenverDetecti... 28 Mar 2013 11:15PM GMT 
markyoungmo 2 Apr 2013 12:04AM GMT 
MichaelGaleYo... 3 Apr 2013 7:19PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions