Search for content in message boards

HOLT/BOON(E)

Replies: 2

Re: HOLT/BOON(E)

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 9:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Recently did the ancestry.com autosomal DNA analysis.
My maternal gggrandfather is Jacob Holt whose boyhood home was Sullivan TN.
DNA evidence indicates that Jacob Holt (1794NC-1878KY) and Ellen Holt Shipley (1802TN - 1871TN) are siblings.

My DNA 4th cousin, bc*******ur1601, has a maternal gggrandmother named Ellen Holt Shipley who resided in Sullivan TN.
Jacobs parents were listed on his death certificate as James and Lydia.
Ellen Holt's father is reported by other researchers to be either James or unknown.
Adam and Ellen Holt Shipley named a daughter Lydia and a son James (perhaps namesaked).
By definition 4th cousins share a common ggggrandparent which would be Jacob's and Ellen's parent (i.e. James).

I also have DNA matches with other Holt 4th-6th cousins whose branches trace back through Germanna descendants John Holt (Ka*****rd) and Francis Holt (R*****A) and Rachel Catherine Holt (vi*****ge), all children of Nicholas Holt 1st (1719VA - 1787VA). I believe Francis had bounty land in Sullivan TN, that John had land in Bedford TN, and Rachel resided in Gibson TN.
Because these DNA cousins are Germanna, it is highly probable that Jacob Holt and Ellen Holt Shipley are also Germanna Holt descendants.

A Francis Holt owned bounty land in Sullivan during the late 1700's and subsequently a James Holt (perhaps his brother) owned land in Sullivan TN during the early 1800's after Francis returned to oversee his deceased father's (Nicholas 1st) estate.

Here is an excerpt of a deposition by the grandson of Eva Wilhoit Holt:
Copied: "The Descendants of Michael Holt", By: Mrs A.H. Marshall:

March 1826 Orange Co., N.C., Estate Papers - Nicholas Holt Estate - page 7 - Deposition of James Holt sayeth when asked by defts. agent, how long Eve Holt, wife of Nicholas Holt and mother of James and Francis Holt has been dead, sayeth she died April 16, 1807, that at time of her death she lived with him and his mother and she being his grandmother, his mother requested (?) him. Mr. (?) Holt, to enter hir death. He done so, Signed: Jas. Holt.
(I believe this grandson is also a sibling of Jacob Holt and Ellen Holt Shipley)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jean Smallwood 29 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
MariaHoltAist... 12 Jul 2003 12:50AM GMT 
drsdixieland 24 Jun 2013 3:26AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions