WOODS, BENJAMIN, b. 02 Feb. 1796, Mason Co. KY; d. 29 June 1877, Howard Co.IN; m. 05 May 1819, Wayne Co.IN. Reared on farm near Waynesville, Warren Co. OH. In 1848, settled near Greentown, Howard Co. IN.
MECA BOONE, b. 16 July 1797, Fayette Co., KY, d. 25 Feb. 1877, Howard Co.IN; dau. of Ovid Boone Sr. & m2 Susannah Noe. Meca's will: 1877, Howard Co., Book 2, p.219.
Benjamin and Meca buried in Greenlawn Cem., Greentown, Howard Co. IN.
(1) Many of Meca's female desc. of that name used one "c." Also, it's spelled "Meca" on marr. record and in Society of Indiana Pioneers. However, her grave marker is "Mecca."
(2) Daughter Lucy born before Benjamin and Meca registered their marriage in Wayne Co. IN.
(3) 1850 Howard Co. IN census lists JANE E. WOODS, age 29, at end of Benj. & Meca's children. Once believed to be eldest dau. of Benjamin and Meca, we now think she is Benjamin's niece. Jane E. WOODS marr. Thomas W. Banks of Howard Co. in Sept. 1850; she died 1854; left one dau.
(4) Data on Benj. and Meca from family records of Costlow, Trabue, and Boone Woods lines; and census and vital records.
(5) Benjamin changed spelling of his name from WOOD to WOODS, ca.1830 (his 1819 marr. record says WOOD); possibly influenced by prominent WOODS neighbors in Wayne Co. IN, originally of NC.
(6) Benjamin is grandson of Benjamin WOOD (wife Ruth), of Penna., whose will proved 1797, Mason Co., KY, probably thru the elder Benjamin's son WILLIAM WOOD. Our Benjamin also had ties to William's brother AQUILLA WOOD.
(7) Besides Aquilla (who m. Jane Shepherd), the other siblings of William (Benjamin's likely dad) were: Mary m. Philip Baltimore (their dau. Ruth m. Ovid Boone Jr.); Amos WOOD (k. by Indians); Kesiah m. Jesse Griggs; Nancy; Curdalah (Cordelia, Delia); Matthew WOOD m. Margaret Patterson; and Ashberry WOOD m. Margaret "Peggy" Miller.
Children of BENJAMIN and MECA:
1. LUCY JANE WOODS, 1816, m. Joseph G. JOHNSON.
2. WILLIAM WOODS,1820, m1 Mahala Burgoyne, m2 Matilda Burgoyne (sister), m3 Mrs. Nancy A. Morris.
3. OVID BOONE WOODS, 1822, called "Boone Woods," m. Clarice E. Allen.
4. HARRIETT SUSAN WOODS, 1824, m.John GARRIGUS.
5. MARY A. WOODS, 1826, m. ___ Springer.
6. SARAH M. WOODS, 1828, died young.
7. JOHN PLEASANT WOODS, 1830, m. Mary ___.
8. MALVINA WOODS, 1833, m. Patrick COSTLOW.
9. GEORGE W. WOODS, 1835, unmarried.
10. MATILDA JANE WOODS, 1838, m. Marion Minter TRABUE.
11. MARTHA EVELYN WOODS, 1842, m. Calvin CULBERTSON.