Search for content in message boards

Zenas Indiana

Replies: 1

Zenas Indiana

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 11:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Zenas is located in Columbia Township in Jennings County. It is in the far northeastern part of the county. There used to be a school in the town near Zenas Baptist Church. I attended there from 1955-60. By 1968 it had closed and the building has since been torn down. The church is still in operation and has a paved parking lot where the school used to be. Zenas was always a quiet, friendly town. It had a small country store until the 1960s. Farming and pulpwood-cutting were the only industries in the area when I lived there. I will always consider it home. The area has the best-tasting well water I have ever known. At one time there was talk of building a large reservoir at the edge of town, but the project never materialized. Just as well. It might have ruined the best drinking water in the world.

Of the most interesting people I knew in the town, none were more interesting than Denver Baldwin, a long-time school principal who retired in 1959. He remembered the original school building, which was destroyed by a tornado in 1928. He had two cars--a black 1951 Packard and a gray 1951 Packard. Somehow, they fit his personality perfectly. He was always impeccably dressed in a business suit, wore round wire-framed glasses and parted his hair down the middle.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hbullard77 1 May 2013 5:26AM GMT 
anmbailey1967 3 Aug 2013 3:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions