Search for content in message boards

Hayes Vickers

Replies: 4

Re: Hayes Vickers

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 1:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello again. My father, Robert S. Vickers, is quite excited that you replied!

Information on Hayes can be found at:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSmid=4...;

My father read it and said it was accurate. Hayes died June 11, 1938, in Gary In. Born Nov. 10, 1879.

My father, Robert, says he remembers a cousin named Keir, from Spencer, who was the daughter of Mr. Peeso (he doesn't remember Mr. Peeso's first name). The daughter married a Robert (he thinks, but is unsure) Keir, who my father believes may have been an agricultural agent of some form. Perhaps you can piece some truths from his memory!

Robert Vickers went to Spencer circa 1956 with his mother, Leona Vickers, and his second cousin Frank Bowers from NYC, to see a Georgia, Matie, and Lana, though he's a bit confused on how each of these three relate.

So I'm continuing to get little bits out of my father, Robert, when he says "I have a picture she painted hanging in my bedroom." "Well, I said, that's really something!" So we went into his bedroom and pulled a painting off the wall signed G. Haygarth, and on the back it says "Painted by Georgia Peeso Haygarth of Spencer Iowa, sometime before 1936. Georgia was a first cousin to Hayes Vickers on the Bowers side." It's a watercolor of a snowy lane through some woods.

Another memory: Sometime around 1936 my father remembers being checked out of school so he and his parents (Hayes and Leona) could travel to Spencer to attend a funeral for Mr. Haygarth, who had fallen off of a roof onto his head. He recalls a son George Haygarth, but thinks George died unexpectedly on a cruise ship.

My father also remembers that the Keirs adopted an orphaned German girl (possibly named Heidi?), and on their transit from NY to Spencer, stopped in Gary to see the Vickers family.

I'll stop typing before he remembers yet more! I hope this means something to your family.

Jim (b. 1964)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
GKeir56 8 Jan 2011 1:23AM GMT 
k_l_486 18 Jan 2011 8:20PM GMT 
rsvickers31 18 Feb 2013 8:14PM GMT 
rsvickers31 15 Feb 2013 3:55PM GMT 
GKeir56 17 Feb 2013 4:35PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions