Search for content in message boards

JACOB WAGNER Family

Replies: 2

JACOB WAGNER Family

Posted: 29 Oct 2007 4:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wagner, Poehlein, Rausch, Petri
Hello Perry County Message Boarders:

I am the gg-grandson of Jacob Wagner (b. AUG 1838 d. 29 APR 1911)and Anna Barbara Poehlein (b. 25 JUL 1840 d. 19 NOV 1928) through their second child, first son, Henry W. Wagner (b. 7 FEB 1862 d. 27 JAN 1890) and his wife Mena Margaret Rausch (b. 12 APR 1866 d. SEP 1948). While doing research on my family, I have encountered some questions. Hopefully there is someone out there who can provide some information to help me clarify these areas.

First - Regarding Jacob's mother. I have found Johann Wagner, his wife "Anna," and children Johann, Heinrich, Catharina, and Jacob, arriving in New Orleans on/about 15 May 1848 on the ship Desdemona. The 1850 US Federal census lists John and family in Tobin Township, Perry County, Ind., with John's wife named "Anna." I have found no other reference to John and Anna Wagner; however, in the 1860 US Federal census, there is a "Christina" Wagner, age 62, residing with Jacob and wife in Tobin Twp which I'm guessing is Jacob's mother. I have seen unsourced information that Jacob's mother was Christina Petri.

My first question is... Is Jacob's mother the "Anna" in the Passenger List and the 1850 census and is the "Christina" in the 1860 census really Jacob's mother; thus "Anna" = "Christina"?

Second - Both Jacob and his brother, John, indicated in the census lists that they were born in "Prussia." I have seen unsourced statements that say Jacob was born in Munsingen, Prussia. However, the only Munsingen I find in Germany is southeast of Stuttgart in the Kingdom of Wurttemberg. I'm no scholar of German history, but I don't think that Wurttemberg was ever a part of Prussia. The Wurttemberg Emmigration Index shows no Wagner that I can tie to mine that emmigrated in early 1848. I have found a marriage record from Kastellaun, Rhineland, Preussen, for Johann Georg Wagner and Anna Katharina Petri on 3 AUG 1823. I don't know whether this is the John and Anna who settled in Perry county in 1848.

So my second question is - does anyone out there have information about where John and Anna Wagner (Jacob's parents), and their children lived in Germany prior to emmigrating to North America? or have a source for Jacob being born in Munsingen?

Many thanks...

Ken Wagner
Portsmouth, RI
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kenwag61 29 Oct 2007 10:23PM GMT 
gramelsp 1 Nov 2007 11:42PM GMT 
gramelsp 1 Nov 2007 11:44PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions