Search for content in message boards

Thomas, Beach, Beeler, Hale,

Replies: 2

Thomas, Beach, Beeler, Hale,

Posted: 26 Nov 2002 6:42PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Thomas, Beach, Beeler, Hale,
This book has no cover, and no index, and no author. I bought it on Ebay; it just has the insides, but it is full of Indiana biographies. I am not researching this family, just thought I would share. I do not know anymore about these families or these surnames. NOTE: I don’t know if there is any additional mention of this family in the book, it has no index. I do not want to sell this book. I am typing the biographies from it.

Typed by Lora Radiches:

Surnames in this biography are: Thomas, Beach, Beeler, Hale,

CECIL B. THOMAS. As the owner and able manager of two widely circulated newspapers, and other publications, Cecil B. Thomas occupies an intimate arid responsible relationship with his fellow-citizens in both Pike and Crawford counties, Indiana. Mr. Thomas is a resident of the latter county, but was born in the former, and is a descendant of substantial old agricultural families whose records of good citizenship reach far back in the history of the country. He commenced his career as the possessor of a good education and for a time followed the vocation of teaching, but eventually the call of journalism proved too strong to be resisted and in this honored profession he has found contentment and success. Mr. Thomas was born June 5, 1892, in Pike County, Indiana, and is a son of Sherman and Stella (Beach) Thomas. His father, who was also born in Pike County, passed the active part of his career in agricultural pursuits, in which he became very successful, and is now living, in comfortable retirement at the age of sixty-five years. Mrs. Thomas, who also survives, aged fifty-seven years, is a daughter of one of the early settlers of Pike County, where he was extensively engaged as a farmer, tobacco grower and merchant, and was a leading and influential citizen. There were five children in the family: Cecil B., Cassel, Geneva, Lillian and Granis J. The early education of Cecil B. Thomas was acquired in the public schools of Pike County and following his graduation from high school pursued courses in the Oakland City College, Indiana, where he later served as a teacher, in the State Normal College, at Terre Haute, and the University of Ohio, and then took journalism at the University of Arkansas. Returning to Indiana, for a time he was an instructor at Oakland City College, but in 1924 turned his attention to journalism and bought the Otwell Star, which he has conducted with great success to the present. In 1927 he established the Marengo Messenger, and this he has also carried on prosperously, his home now being at Marengo, where he owns an attractive residence. He also owns and publishes a monthly journal of fiction and features and The Republican Reporter, a weekly publication. Besides his publication interests he is also extensively engaged in farming and fruit growing, haling the largest cherry orchards in Southern Indiana. Mr. Thomas has become well and favorably known in the newspaper field, and his publications have a definite place among the journals of their section. He possesses an excellent conception of what the reading public desires in the way of news, and presents it in an attractive and interesting form, in addition to giving much space to local topics, timely editorials and features. His papers are clean and reliable in character and find their way into many homes in Southern Indiana. In addition to his newspapers Mr. Thomas is the owner of three farms and a poultry ranch, these being operated by others under his supervision. In national political affairs Mr. Thomas votes the Republican ticket, but in local and state matters is inclined to be independent, supporting the man rather than the party. He is a consistent member of the Baptist Church. In June, 1916, Mr. Thomas was united in marriage with Miss Elgin Beeler, a daughter of Joe and Mabel (Hale) Beeler, and to this union there have been born five children, three of whom died in infancy, Regina, Ruth and Esther, the other two being: Cecil B. Jr., born October 29, 1919, and David, born July 5, 1923, both of whom are attending public school. Mrs. Thomas taught school for two years in Ohio Township in Spencer County and one year at Augusta, Pike County, having taken the normal course at Oakland City College. She is now associated with her husband in the printing office.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lora1957 27 Nov 2002 1:42AM GMT 
jas8023 1 Dec 2002 10:06PM GMT 
steiner63 16 Jul 2014 11:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic