Search for content in message boards

Luke Davis born 1822, buried in Marion Cemetery

Replies: 1

Luke Davis born 1822, buried in Marion Cemetery

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 3:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
"My" Luke Davis was born abt. 1822, son of Eli Davis and Mary Kincaid. Luke is MY great great grandfather. I have no idea where or when he died. Luke married Rebecca Hale on July 2, 1848 in Boone County, Indiana.

In 1850 Census, Rebecca age 26 is living in Boone Co., IN with husband, Luke Davis age 28 and children, *Sarah Ann Davis age 3 and Mary Elizabeth Davis age 9 months. Living near Rebecca's family is her mother, Nancy Hale House age 44 and her husband, George House age 50 and Rebecca's sister, Sarah Hale age 21. Luke's occupation is listed as Laborer and George as a carpenter.

In 1860 Census, Rebecca is age 36 and alone with her children, Mary Elizabeth age 10, Nancy Ellen age 6, James age 4 and Benjamin age 2. The child, Sarah Ann Davis from the 1850 Census is not present. Therefore, Luke Davis may have died between 1850 and 1860 census. *Sarah Ann Davis age 3 in 1850 IN Census perhaps is the child of Rebecca and her first husband William Ward. The marriage to William Ward has not been proved.

In 1870 Census, Rebecca is age 47, married to Samuel Martin age 53 and only Benjamin age 13 is living with them in Lewis Co., MO. In 1880 Census, Rebecca is age 56, Samuel Martin age 62 and Benjamin is still living with them at age 21 in Lewis Co., MO.

The children of Luke Davis and Rebecca Hale are Nancy Ellen Davis (my great grandmother) died 20 Mar 1898, Benjamin Franklin Davis born 07 Sep 1858 and died 29 Jun 1935, James G. Davis (I think the G. stands for Garfield), and Mary Elizabeth (Lizzie) Davis. I have their husbands/wives and children if you need the info.

I am at a dead end at finding out what happened to Luke Davis between 1850 and 1860. I have researched cemetery records and newspapers. I believe he came to Lewis Co., MO with Rebecca and the children including various House relatives. I also cannot find a gravesite for Rebecca Hale Davis Martin. I have an obit for Benjamin Franklin Davis buried in Deer Ridge Cemetery, Reddish Township, Lewis County, La Belle, MO.

My email is sciross@aol.com. I have folders of Davis family info but need some help with Luke or Rebecca. Linda
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sciross 12 Jan 2013 10:25PM GMT 
thomasker2 26 Aug 2013 9:18PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions