Seeking information on this man's wife (or wives?) and possible descendants. I tried to attach a copy of his death certificate - but was not able to.]
Thanks to CINDRA GRAHAM's help in 2010, I know that George W. Drake is buried in Sec. C, Lot 34 of Greenlawn Cem., Orland, Steuben Co., Indiana, USA. Cindra also shared info with me on George's mother's grave. George's mother Phoebe RANDOL [sometimes spelled Randall] m 3 times.
Thanks to KAY LASH, I am pleased with what I have on Phoebe; Her OBIT even had her picture! ["Steuben Republican" Aug 18, 1920 p=3 column=2
"PHEOBE RANDAL SHNEIDER" - She was actually: Phoebe Randol Drake Cutler Schneider] Her 1st husband and father of George Drake was McCager [Micajah] Drake (b 1821- d 1854).
My Ancestry.com tree = "2013 Ty's Relatives" has additonal information on Phoebe.
NOW back to her son, George W. DRAKE = My Mystery Man.
ADDITIONAL RECORDS - My notes are in brackets:
Home in 1900: Millgrove, Steuben, Indiana
Name: George W Drake
Birth Date: "Mar 1854" [I am keeping 1851 from previous censuses]
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: New Jersey
Mother's Birthplace: Ohio
Spouse's name: Zenah [What was her maiden name?]
Marriage Year: 1899
Marital Status: Married [Where?]
Years Married: 1
George W Drake 46 [b Mar 1854 Indiana]
Zenah Drake 30 [b Jul 1869 Indiana]
Home in 1910: Millgrove, Steuben, Indiana
Name: Phoebe Schmider [Looks like "SCHNEIDER to me (SAR-H)]
Age in 1910: 85 [Image 25 of 28 on Ancestry.com]
Estimated birth year: abt 1825 [Record has 5 children - 2 living]
Father's Birth Place: Ohio
Mother's Birth Place: Maryland
Marital Status: Widowed
Phoebe Schmider 85 OH OH Maryland
Georgett Denke 60 IN Mass. OH [SHOULD be = GEORGE W. DRAKE]
[George is the GLUE! He is listed as "D" = divorced.]
Home in 1920: Millgrove, Steuben, Indiana
Name: Phoebe Drake
Estimated birth year: abt 1825
Relation to Head of House: Mother Marital Status: Widowed
George Drake 70 Indiana [SON]
Phoebe Drake 95 Ohio [Mother]
NOTE: George was still "divorced" when he died in 1924.
HERE is what I would LOVE to find:
(1) A marriage record for George W. Drake to Zenah _?_ ca 1899; I highly suspect in Steuben Co., Indiana; The transcription must be squirrely, because I cannot find a "hit" on database searches.
(2) A copy of the divorce between George & Zenah which would have been some time 1900-1910. very likely divorce was in Steuben Co., IN?
(3) Did they have any children?
(4) What happened to Zenah?
Did she remarry? When did she die? Where is she buried?
(5) As mentioned, I have good info on George's mother. I also have pretty good information on the ONLY sibling who reached adulthood that has been identified for George:
[=Edwin Edward Drake b May 1854 , Noble Co., Indiana, USA and d 14 Jul 1936; Edward + his wife are both buried in Circle Hill Cem. - Williamsburg, Grand Traverse Co., Michigan]
(6) I would LOVE an OBIT for George DRAKE which would have been published after his death Jan 2, 1924 in Orland, Millgrove Township, Steuben Co., Indiana. If George had an obit as comprehensive as his mother's, it may answer ALL my questions :-)
Is there anyone in Steuben County, Indiana who can advise/help me bring this family on home?