Search for content in message boards

Lost family member

Replies: 1

Lost family member

Posted: 9 Nov 2011 7:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
I found out that my grandfather had a child that died in the 1920's, but I can't find that record of the birth or death, or obit, place of burial. So I wonder if this child really did die.

Here is my story. > I need to find this missing person (more below)
I have looked every where for this lost little girl that I have been told about for 30 some years. Here is my story.

My grandfather Alfred West Long (1902-1975) married Mildred Helen McNally (1907-1980) in 1923. Helen was 16 when she married my grandfather. Both are from Connersville, Indiana, but my grandfather might have been born in Union county, Indiana. The story goes, those two had a baby, but the baby, which was a girl died. (so I've been told)

My grandfather was remarried to my grandmother Lillian Gabbard Long by 1931, and Mildred was remarried in April 1928, and (Mildred and her new husband Dale) had a baby girl named Julia by December 1928. Mildred married Dale Bray and they had three children, the oldest being Julia born in 1928. If Helen married Dale in april of 1928, then she was about a month pregnant before she married him. MY THEORY is that perhaps this baby never died,(as my grandfather Alfred Long said) but my grandfather said the baby did so he could accept it. Because he knew he may never see his child again. (I'm not saying this is true, but it seems that it could be possible). Julia is Mildreds mothers name.

In all my genealogical searches (of Ancestry.com, Family search, census online), I have never found a birth, or death of this baby. I did find a marriage licence of Mildred and Alfred, but that was it. I'd like to know the name of this little girl, what she died of, where she's buried. (I'd also like to know if it's a possibility that Mildred and Dales first little girl was really my grandfather's daughter) I know you could not tell without DNA, but if you can't find a baby girl, what else can you assume?

The story I have been told all these years was that my grandfather was married before my grandmother and their child died. Not due to illness, and not still born. (I felt like the baby could have died from neglect or abuse). I don't know if there was a possibility that this baby was buried under another name. Like Bray, Herman, (Julias mothers second marriage) or the McNally name. I'm not sure of what rights if any that the father had. Or if they had any. I never found divorce papers on my grandfather alfred and Mildred. So there are lots of mysteries here.
I hope you can help me
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
digging4ances... 9 Nov 2011 2:12PM GMT 
gloam20 3 Feb 2012 7:01AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions