Search for content in message boards

Mount Pleasant and Grand View Cemetery, sometimes confused

Replies: 2

Mount Pleasant and Grand View Cemetery, sometimes confused

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 6:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
My aunt said as a young girl they went out on Lockport Road to the cemetery there....they would decorate grandma mom’s grave there, and grandma’s grandparents graves.

As a child, I lived not far from Lockport Road and knew of the Cemetery there, named Grand View Cemetery. Grandview is quite large, and I spent a couple days just walking around it before some worker showed up to dig a grave, and I talked to them. One of them had keys to the office, and they still had a burial record there with every burial since the opening day of that cemetery! None of my people were there. When I was dismayed, the cemetery man said...you know...some people get this cemetery and Mt Pleasant Cemetery mixed up.....it is just on down the road, down the Old Riley Road.
Some days later, I was in the VCPL and said something to David Lewis....and David started the memory bank running...suddenly he walks back across the room and said....”you know don’t you...that the town of Riley was called Lockport because of the Wabash and Erie Canal had locks there and it had something to do with the canal water storage lakes out east of Riley (Lockport).” And then my wife, Norma says....that her grandmother was buried in Mt Pleasant and it is on the old Riley Road...wonder if the road was Lockport Road once....David Lewis said...well you know that the old canal ran down what was 9 1/2 to Hulman then cut southeast toward Margaret went west to about 25th and southwest again toward Riley....and when the Canal was filled in, Lockport Road followed the old canal route!
I went to Mt Pleasant and within an hour found all the tombstones.
Mt Pleasant records for the “old section” all were destroyed, they were in a tool shed that burnt in the 1950’s..

That worker in Grand View Cemetery told me that a lot of people get Grand View Cemetery and Mt Pleasant Cemetery mixed up.....Today the road name at Grand View is still Lockport Road.....
The name of the road that passes Mt Pleasant is called Old Riley Road. Lockport ends at 19th and Margaret Ave today.......then the Riley Road begins at 25th and Margaret.... At one time that part of Margaret was called Lockport Road, and it continued from 19th to 25th, then SE to Lockport, now the town of Riley!
You know the first railroads (and some still today) ran/run along the route of the canal....they built the tracks on the “tow-paths” that the oxen, mules, and horses used to tow the barges along the old canal.
The RR that crosses 91/2 & Wabash is still along that route at that point going thru Terre Haute, Indiana. In old maps of TH, found at IN State Archive, show the canal route through Terre Haute..

David Bonnett, 2013
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bjct1 19 Feb 2013 1:03PM GMT 
cutlelilscave... 1 Mar 2013 2:10AM GMT 
bjct1 1 Mar 2013 4:45PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic