Search for content in message boards

White's Institute

Replies: 0

White's Institute

Posted: 6 May 2013 10:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandmother and her two brothers were placed in the White's Institute when their father left their mother in TN and took the children with him to IN. His neglect of the children caused the state to take the children from him and they were placed in the White's Institute where they lived from 1902 until they were reunited with their mother around 1912. The school placed children with families in the area - my grandmother had a good experience with this, but her older brother did not. I have a postcard mailed in 1911 from my grandmother in IN to her mother in TN stating that her brother had run away from the family he was with, perhaps because he was so anxious to see his mother again. She hoped the State Board of Charities would not find him. Grandma told me many stories of her time in the orphanage as she lived with our family. Don't really know much more about the institute than this, but I know the children there at that time made close friends, as around 1956 one of Grandma's childhood friends that she knew from her time at White's came from IN to NC to visit my grandmother! Would be interested to know more about the White's Institute history during the time (1902 - 1918) that my grandmother was there.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions