Search for content in message boards

Charles Wambo/Wambaugh Centerville Indiana

Replies: 2

Charles Wambo/Wambaugh Centerville Indiana

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 9:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wambo, Wambaugh, Charman, Hanagan, Reicard, Fink, Conner
Hi there. My name is Jennifer McCraw and I live in Henderson, KY. I'm trying to solve a family mystery.

I'm looking for information on the Charman family.

I'm not related to the Charman family but my family is very curious about and grateful to Arthur Charman and want to get in touch with anyone knowing details about their farm.

Here's the story: My great grandfather Charles Wambo, whom I never met, was given up for adoption along with an elidged brother, possibly named William, when he was a young boy. Some stories are that their parents died in a buggy accident, some are that the mom died first then the father died later... Charles' original last name was probably something like "Wambaugh" but when he was "adopted" by the Charman family he began spelling it Wambo. For ease, I'm assuming. Charles worked on the farm and lived with the family. Memories of his have been passed down through the generation like folk-lore - "Your great-grandpa remembers going to that big house on the hill and playing. He said he remembered calling someone 'Uncle' there..." etc.

My family tree completely stops with him because we don't know anything about his parents or siblings, his "real" last name, if there was a brother, any records from the orphanage, etc. I made a Charman family tree hoping that someone else out there would have these little snippets of memories, possibly about Charles coming to live with them, or if he ever talked about his parents...

If you have any living contacts that may help please let them know I'm looking for them just to have a phone conversation and try to unlock the secrets of Charles Wambo. I have that Arthur and Nettie had two daughters, Martha (or Mattie) who married Richard Reicard and Lula Myrtle who married Vert Conner. Do you know anyone from this line? I'm just trying to find a starting point. I'm very excited to crack this mystery. Hope someone can help!

The 1910 Centerville, Indiana census that shows Charles Wambaugh was living as a farm hand with Arthur and Nettie Charman in Centerville, Indiana.

Charles went on to marry Lilith Hanagan of Centerville in 1905. He worked as a farmer in Centerville and Abington, renting several different houses throughout. Eventually, upon Lilith's passing, Charles took the job as Cemetery Caretaker so he could be near Lilith. So precious!

My relation is Charles Wambo - Barbara Wambo Fink - Chuck Fink - Jennifer Fink McCraw

Jen McCraw
mccrawjen@gmail.com
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jenmccraw 22 Mar 2013 3:27PM GMT 
williamfcraig... 9 Apr 2013 8:15PM GMT 
jenmccraw 10 Apr 2013 3:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic