Search for content in message boards

Looking for Shirts Family

Replies: 2

Looking for Shirts Family

Posted: 9 Dec 2002 7:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shirts, Buzzard, Zachary
Hi!

I am a decendant of the Buzzard-Shirts Family of Iowa, that is, Daniel Buzzard and Annie Shirts.

At some point, they left Iowa for Idaho. Or they were both born there, children of pioneers, and were married there.

Annie Shirts father was Roscius Shirts. He was born in Indiana in 1842. He enlisted for the Union Army in 1862 at Adelphi Iowa and served with the 23rd Inf Reg, Iowa.

He married a Virginia Freel in Oct of 1865 and had Mary, bn 1867, and Eli, 1868.

He married Sarah "Sallie" Zachary (bn 1848 in Knox Tennessee) in 1869 and my great-great grandmother Annie was the first child born of that union in 1871. There was also Robert and Harris and Lydia Belle. I think that these were born in Idaho.

The 1880 census mistakenly lists Roscius as "Rossins," however, all the other family names and dates are the same as what I have from family records, so I am sure this is the right man.

It shows that his father was named "Sidney Shirts" and that he was also born in Indiana in 1815. (Family members tell me that he was from Conneticut, but the census must be right.) He has no listing for his father's birthplace. His mother's birthplace was in Tennessee.

I have no record of a mother for Roscius. Family members say that she was from Ohio.

I would like to find out more about Sidney as well, if possible.

If anyone might have a clue, please let me know.

Thank you so much!

Mary Burke
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MaryDevonshir... 9 Dec 2002 2:26PM GMT 
ljones1952_1 8 Mar 2009 12:56AM GMT 
tammycarlson1 25 Mar 2012 12:22AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions