Search for content in message boards

Wayhouses on the "National Road" active 1875-1882

Replies: 0

Wayhouses on the "National Road" active 1875-1882

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 5:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Jul 2012 10:40PM GMT
I'm looking for names and locations of wayhouses that were in business around 1880. I hope to find guest registers that may include my ancestors the John Robert OHNSAT family, who traveled the National Road by Conestoga wagon from Pittsburgh PA to Tipton KS (then itself was named Pittsburgh KS) around 1877. (Parts of my research are documented in my blog, http://tgkohn.blogspot.com/2012/06/ohnsat-mystery-on-nationa...)

I know that the National Road actually ended in Vandalia IL, and that National Road travel was eclipsed by the railway system, beginning as early as the 1860s. However, a family anecdote claims the family took the National Road, and even one register entry would help prove the anecdote's truth.

Thus, what was a main throughfare from Kansas City may have had a different local name, though its function was as a continuation of the National Road. I've travelled all of I-70 and most of U.S. 40, the construction of which pretty much obliterated the actual National Road.

I welcome replies that include information about

- Still-extant remnants of the National Road
- Wayhouses in the county
- Rail development in the county
- County historical societies or museums that may hold such information

Thanks,
Thomas Kohn
tgkohn@aol.com
(Direct replies encouraged)

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions