Search for content in message boards

Evans & Ellis - Kickapoo area 1850's & 1860

Replies: 4

Re: Evans & Ellis - Kickapoo area 1850's & 1860

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 8:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Chuck,

Thank you! I'd not seen the link to the ferries page before, so that is exceptionally interesting. I've seen a lot of discussion in the early Leavenworth newspapers about the Kickapoo "squatters", which they may have been. I think my people moved back and forth across the river.

The note about a John Ellis being shot in the neck is intriguing, esp. as another person researching this line may have both John Ellis and Geo. Noland in their lineage.

WOW!!! I TRULY APPRECIATE that you went through the 1870 Kickapoo Twp. census listing, something that has been on my to do list. It seems they *disappear* by 1870.

The children of Enoch and Minerva all end up back in either Jackson Co., MO or Clay Co., MO, by 1871, as my John C. Ellis marries in Nov. 1871 in Jackson Co., MO (as does his sister on the same day - double wedding?).

Unfortunately, that's not our Enoch that is show as being a Confederate. That Enoch S. Evans line is from Scott Co., MO, and they were there at the same time that my Enoch Evans was in Jackson Co., MO. We have researched that angle, and their Evans had been in that county for a long time before and after the Civil War.

I have a census saved to Enoch in my tree that lists his middle initial as "H", but have no clue what it stands for!

I do have a listing of Kansas Soldiers in the Civil War, copied the pages with Ellis and Evans and have only found that Isaac N. (Newton) Ellis, who was the eldest son of the elder John Ellis, served from Kickapoo, KS. He's later found living in California, in Veteran's homes (I need to order that Pension file - wish they'd not raised the price).

My local genealogy library has the Kansas Herald on microfilm. I think my best bet is to read the entire roll of film (3-4 years) to see if I can find anything about illness, trips to CA/OR/WA, or deaths.

We also found our elder John Ellis living with his son, Andrew Dock "Bud" Ellis, in Miami Co., KS. He died there and is buried in the Stanton Cemetery.

We do not know what happened to Mary (Martin) Ellis, John the elder's wife. We assume she died, but need to investigate this further as well.

I did find Isaac, Thomas, and ? else in the 1830 Platte Co., MO census too. I think there has to be a connection to my Ellis, as the naming of the eldest son as Isaac. I'd not seen the Isaac McEllis, but I have seen an Isaac M.C. Ellis.

Thank you so very much for your hard work on these ELUSIVE lines. Please let me know if there is anything that I can look up for you.

The search for Enoch & Minerva continues (we even found a Mrs. Minerva Evans marrying a Richard Andrews in Leavenworth, KS, but can't find them after their marriage).

Regards,

Patti

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
PatticakeinMO 15 Nov 2012 3:51PM GMT 
judyartley53 29 Dec 2012 9:22PM GMT 
PatticakeinMO 30 Dec 2012 3:11AM GMT 
McMayorchuck 30 Jan 2013 5:51AM GMT 
PatticakeinMO 30 Jan 2013 3:21PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions