Search for content in message boards

John Harshbarger/Harshberger

Replies: 0

John Harshbarger/Harshberger

Posted: 2 Nov 2011 2:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harshbarger, Harshberger, Garrett
Some time after the Civil War, a relative of mine, John Harshberger/Harshbarger left Keokuk Co., IA and went to Lincoln Co., KS (or, what was to become KS). I suspect that it may have been after 1870. He, and his nephew C.M. Harshbarger had been on a buffalo hunting trip to what is now Lucas, Russel Co., KS and decided they wanted to settle in KS. Christopher went to Russell Co. and John went to Lincoln Co.

I am told that John dallied in government jobs and am wondering if he is one of the gov't officials that hired Pat Garrett. Well, the timing is about right, but that is all I have to go on.

Are the hiring documents for Pat Garrett available, or are the circumstances known of that event? I would like to know, if anyone there can help.

John eventually raised his kids who then went to Idaho. Later in life, John went to Idaho to live around his kids and is buried there. There are still some of his dependents alive there, I think.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions