Search for content in message boards

Lyman Alonzo Davis obituary

Replies: 0

Lyman Alonzo Davis obituary

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 10:08AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Lyman A. Davis was born at Florida, N.Y., September 6, 1839, died at his home in Bancroft, Kansas, January 8, 1910. Was married to Annie A. Hoyt at Bangor, Wis., August 26, 1864, to which union were five children born: viz. Wm. E. Davis of Ontario, KS., H.G. Davis and D.E. Davis of Goff, Mrs. Alice A. Calder of Bancroft and Effie, died in infancy. Beside the four children he is survived by the wife.
Enlisting in the 3rd Wis. Cav. in 1862 he served one year when he was mustered out with honorable discharge at Leavenworth, Kansas. Emmigrating to Kansas at an early day he passed through and experienced all the vicissitudes of the pioneers of this section and his lot like that of most of his neighbors, in those days was anything but the most encouraging. However, with a persistency of purpose almost invariably among the most invaluable asset of the early settler, he won out and lived to see the country develop into one of prosperity and plenty, conditions to which he contributed a full share through the agency of honest toil and the spirit of good fellowship, and working to a common end, viz. advancement.
Lon. Davis, a name by which he was familiarly known to all, was a man made of the stuff that makes a country. Always a whole souled jovial personage, he enjoyed the highest esteem and implicit confidence of a large circle of friends and acquaintances. Every fiber of his being seemed the embodiment of cheerfulness and this trail in his nature, no doubt had much to do with the way he lingered in his last illness.
Death was the result of typhoid pneumonia fever with which he was taken ill early last fall. Only about a week ago he was moved overland from his former home in the Maple Shade neighborhood to the new home at Bancroft, which he had purchased not long since and where he and Mrs. Davis had expected to spend their declining years. The trip was made without him seeming any the worse for it. During Friday night his condition took a turn for the worse and death resulted early Saturday morning.
Funeral was held in Bancroft, Sunday at 11 o'clock p.m. (sic) conducted by Rev. Clawson and was attended by the Goff I.O.O.F. lodge of which order he had long been a member. Burial was in Fairview cemetery Sunday afternoon according to the ritual of Odd fellowship.

Find a board about a specific topic