Walter Kerhut (or Kerhoot) of Collyer, KS

Replies: 4

Re: Walter Krhut (or Kerhoot) of Collyer, KS

Robert Lawrence (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2005 9:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jan 2009 10:38AM GMT
Surnames: Krhut, White, Barch
I am an automobile racing historian currently researching the history of that sport in Kansas. I'm trying to learn as much about Walter and his involvement in the sport of automobile racing, as I can for my website on the history of automobile racing at Oakley, Kansas:
http://winfield.50megs.com/Oakley/oakleyracing.htm

You will find Walter mentioned on several pages of that website but all I've been able to learn about him so far is the following:

WALTER FRANK "GUTS" KRHUT, born September 10, 1893 near Collyar, Kansas, died August 21, 1984, and is buried in the Union Cemetery at Collyar, Kansas. He entered a 50-mile race at Oakley, Kansas run on October 9, 1926 but dropped out after completing 35 miles when a tire came off the car. That race was won by Jim White of Sharon Springs, Kansas in a Frontenac.

Just six weeks later, Walter returned to race at Oakley but this time driving that winning Frontenac he had just purchased from Jun White. Walter won that race.

Walter continued to compete at Oakley as late as July 4, 1929 and, by that time, had added a second car to his stable of racing cars, this one a #7 driven by a Mr. Barch of WaKenney, Kansas.

I'm looking forward to learning anything else that you might be able to tell me about Walter Krhut and his involvement in automobile racing. I'm also interested in seeing any auto racing related photographs that you might have.

Thank you for your help with all of this.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Robert Lawrence 2 Dec 2003 8:03PM GMT 
Robert Lawrence 2 Dec 2003 8:30PM GMT 
Linda Krhut 27 Feb 2005 9:39AM GMT 
Robert Lawrence 1 Mar 2005 4:38PM GMT 
Steve Parke 28 Mar 2006 12:20AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions