Search for content in message boards

Bethlehem Academy

Replies: 7

Re: Bethlehem Academy-Sr.Sabina O'BRYAN/O'BRIEN

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 1:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Just following up on some info I came across for Elizabeth BRYAN/O'BRYAN/O'BRIEN: Sister of Charles:

LORETTO ANNALS OF THE CENTURY BY Anna C. Minogue
NEW YORK THE AMERICA PRESS Copyright, 1912 BY The America Press

Most of the earliest members of the Loretto Society were from families of English descent, who had emigrated from Maryland and Virginia. Celtic names, however, were not wanting, as we find Miss Elizabeth O'Brien among those clothed in the novice's garb, November 27, 1819. She pronounced her vows the following year and proved an efficient and devoted religious until her death at Bethlehem, Kentucky, June 30, 1842. Bishop Flaget esteemed her highly, when during her superiorship, 1832, he wrote of the favor- able impression she had made : "Mother Sabina, it appears, has won all hearts ; she has filled them with holy joy. The neighbors of Bethlehem are enchanted with her manners." To make oneself so acceptable to others in a position of authority, when poverty and complicated trials are the daily portion of the superior, indicate no ordinary degree of vir- tue, therefore we justly ascribe to Mother Sabina a strength of character blended with gentle bearing, which go far to make a perfect ruler. Mother Sabina was the fifth Mother Superior of the Society, governing from 1826 to 1832.

Page 102

For thirty-eight years Loretto had found in Bishop Flaget a kind and loving father. His letters to superiors and others breathed forth his paternal love for the Society which was the first to spring up in the virgin soil of his prolific See; and his many acts of benevolence, coming as they did from one so truly of God, proved his high regard for it and its accomplishments. He kept it in his heart, treasured it as the priceless gift of Father Nerinckx, dying, had bequeathed to him and to his successors forever. "Loretto, my dear Loretto," he calls it in his letters, and again, writing to Mother Sabina O'Brien, on New Year's Day, 1829 : "I open all my episcopal treasures to pour them with both hands on you first, and on all your dear daughters and mine, without exception and without distinction. I truly and sincerely love them all in God and for God, and recommend myself and my diocese earnestly to their fervent prayers."

Page 208
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Sheila 6 Aug 2006 8:35PM GMT 
Carolyn 7 Aug 2006 6:22PM GMT 
Carolyn 7 Aug 2006 9:30PM GMT 
Sheila 9 Aug 2006 7:32PM GMT 
Carolyn 9 Aug 2006 8:09PM GMT 
Sheila 9 Aug 2006 8:28PM GMT 
hudson538 2 Dec 2006 4:56AM GMT 
SheilaSheila9... 14 Oct 2012 7:31PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic