NOTE: I have no connection, no further information and am not seeking additional information.
County of Christian, Kentucky. Historical and Biographical. Edited by William Henry Perrin. Illustrated. F. A. Battey Publishing Co., Chicago and Louisville. 1884. Union Schoolhouse Precinct.
J. C. GLASS was born in Hopkinsville, Ky., in 1828, the fourth child of Zachariah and Mary Jane (Clark) Glass, who were natives of Virginia but removed to Kentucky at an early day. His maternal grandmother was a Miss Gaines, a daughter of one of the three brothers of that name, who came from Switzerland. They were most probably the ancestors of all of that name in America. Mr. Glass had two brothers and five sisters, both his brothers and one sister having died. The party of Virginian emigrants with whom his parents came to Kentucky, contained 200, of whom 175 were slaves. His maternal grandfather was known as “Richgrove” John Clark. He settled with his family seven miles south from Hopkinsville, and was a large man, weighing 350 pounds. He was one of the best known and most hospitable men of this section, being visited by nearly everyone in Christian County. Everything used on his farm was manufactured there – rope, cloth, and tobacco hogsheads. Mr. Glass’ paternal grandfather, Thomas Glass, and family settled first near Frankfort, Ky. The Indians, however, drove them from their settlement, and they buried such things as would not injure by contact with the earth; they returned to Virginia and remained a year. Organizing a large party they came again to Kentucky, and remained in spite of Indians. Mr. Glass’ father successfully followed the business of saddler, merchandise and banking. He finally purchased a large tract of land near Hopkinsville. Mr. Glass has a very pleasant homestead of 500 acres of choice land, on which he cultivates corn, wheat and tobacco. He is a charter member of Church Hill Grange, and he regards it as a good thing for farmers. He is one of ten who stood by and kept it up when interest in it flagged; at its annual stock sales, the Grange has set free dinners to all who attended. The first year the attendance on sale day was 200, the second year 600, and last year there were 4,000 people present. In 1856 he married Miss M. W. Gant, of Hopkinsville. They have two children: Sally (Mrs. J. E. McPherson), and William A., at home. Mr. Glass is very fond of the chase, and is one of an old hunting party formed forty years ago. They still annually take their hunt in the forests of the Southwest.