NOTE: I have no connection, no further information and am not seeking additional information
A History of Kentucky and Kentuckians. The Leaders and Representative Men in Commerce, Industry and Modern Activities. By E. Polk Johnson, Volume III, Illustrated. The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago-New York, 1912.
JOHN E. ROGERS, whose successful business career as the head of John E. Rogers Company, wholesale and retail dealers in farm machinery, wagons, buggies, fertilizers, and farmers’ hardware at Paducah, Kentucky, had his beginning in a clerkship, has since gradually progressed until he now stands at the head of an enterprise which figures prominently in industrial circles in the city. He owes his advancement to the fact that he has thoroughly mastered every task devolving upon him, to the readiness with which he has recognized opportunity and to his adaption of new conditions evolved in business life to the needs of the present day.
J. E. Rogers is a native of Tennessee, born in Wilson county in March, 1867, the son of James and Maria (Davis) Rogers, both living and residents of Owensboro, Kentucky. The father was for a number of years engaged in general farming and stock raising, but is now living somewhat retired. The mother was the daughter of Mrs. Ira Davis, a native of North Carolina, and she died in her eighty-sixth year. The subject of our sketch passed his early boyhood and school days in Wilson county, Tennessee, where he passed through the common and high schools. Upon leaving school he began his business career as clerk in a general store in Tennessee. He then entered the employ of William Denny & Company, of Nashville, Tennessee, as a salesman on the road, in which position he continued for ten years, until 1900. The next year, in 1901, he came to Paducah and embarked in his present business. This business had already been organized in 1900 by J. T. Palmer and W. Rogers. On April 1, 1910, the business was succeeded by the J. E. Rogers Company, with Mr. J. E. Rogers, president and general manager, C. A. Rogers, secretary, and with a capital stock of twenty-five thousand dollars. The company is represented on the road by salesmen covering the states of Illinois, Tennessee and Kentucky. The store house is situated on North Third Street, Nos. 129-131, and is one hundred and sixty-five feet by thirty-seven and one-half feet, both the first and second stories being used in their business. Thy carry a heavy stock of wagons, buggies, light vehicles and farmer’s hardware, and have a large sale throughout the different states before mentioned.
On December 2i6, 1907, Mr. Rogers married Miss Ella Byrn, of McCracken county, Kentucky, the daughter of William Byrn, an old citizen of McCracken county. They have no children. Mr. Rogers is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and was for four years a member of the city council. He is recognized as one of the enterprising, broad-minded, liberal gentlemen, for he brings to bear in the discharge of his duties good business qualifications, combined with a patriotic spirit which prompts him to put forth his best efforts for the public good. In fact he has given to the varied interests of life their due relative value and is esteemed wherever known as a man of genuine worth.