Search for content in message boards

Edard Young KILGORE 12399 - Barren Co

This board is read-only and closed to new posts.
Replies: 0

Edard Young KILGORE 12399 - Barren Co

Posted: 16 May 2014 6:44AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Kilgore, Howard, Gatewood, Garrett, Allison, Shaw, Garrett, Dodd, Torbitt, Castleman, Rogers, Lewis, Gordon, Butman
NOTE: I have no connection, no further information and am not seeking additional information

A History of Kentucky and Kentuckians. The Leaders and Representative Men in Commerce, Industry and Modern Activities. By E. Polk Johnson, Volume III, Illustrated. The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago-New York, 1912.

EDWARD YOUNG KILGORE. – Distinguished as a representative citizen of Glasgow, Barren county, as one of its able and successful business men, Edward Young Kilgore is eminently deserving of mention in this biographical volume. A native-born citizen, his birth occurred July 21, 1844.

His father, William Bolton Kilgore, of Scotch-Irish ancestry, was born July 2, 1799,near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and as a young men migrated to Richmond, Kentucky, where for some time he was editor of a newspaper. He was subsequently similarly employed for a number of years at Bowling Green, in Warren county. Coming from thee to Glasgow, he edited the “Rural Visitor,” becoming well known in his capacity as editor. He was very successful as a journalist, accumulating considerable wealth, and for several years prior to his death, which occurred in Glasgow, September 3, 1854, was a broker and money lender.

William Bolton Kilgore was three times married. He married first, in Richmond, Kentucky, in February, 1825, America Howard, who died without issue. He married second, in Warren county, Kentucky, on the 18th of June, 1828, Abigail Gatewood, and their only child died in infancy. He married third, in Washington, Pennsylvania, on the 6th of October, 1840, Mrs. Nancy (Garrett) Allison, widow of Dr. James Allison and daughter of James and Elizabeth (Shaw) Garrett. To this union two children were born, namely, - Mary Elizabeth, whose birth occurred on the 21st of March, 1842, deceased; and Edward Young, the special subject of this brief biographical review. His last wife survived him many years, passing away July 23, 1873. They were both highly respected for their many virtues, and both belonged to the Presbyterian church, in which he as for many years an elder.

Educated in Kentucky, Edward Young Kilgore attended Urania College, in Glasgow, and Center College, in Danville. In the fall of 1865, just after attaining his majority, he embarked in the drug business at Glasgow, and continued as a druggist for ten years. In the meantime Mr. Kilgore, with characteristic enterprise and ability, purchased the “Glasgow Times,” succeeding Captain Thomas L. Dodd, and was its owner and business manager from 1868 until 1881, continuing his drug business also until 1875. In 1882 he embarked in the real estate business, dealing in both Kansas City and Glasgow property, and was likewise engaged in mercantile pursuits, continuing his operations in both until 1891. In that year he accepted a position as traveling salesman for Torbitt & Castleman, wholesale grocers of Louisville, and remained with that firm until 1898, when he retired from the road. Resuming his operations in real estate, he has since continued in this line of industry, taking as he has always done, a very active interest in the moral advancement and upbuilding of his native town. Among other enterprises which he has been instrumental in consummating, he was the organizer of the Glasgow Cemetery Company, which was incorporated under the laws of the state of Kentucky in 1904, and he has since then served as secretary and treasurer of the company. This cemetery was dedicated on April 26, 1876, as the “Odd Fellows Cemetery.” The management of it afterward passed to the Grand Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and from the Grand Lodge to the present Glasgow Cemetery Company. Among the many improvements which have been made under the direction of Mr. Kilgore in this connection has been the annexing of a large tract of land which, added to the original grounds, has made this into one of the beautiful cemeteries in Kentucky.

Another commendable enterprise which Mr. Kilgore has undertaken is the establishment of “Highland Park” on the Louisville pike at the edge of Glasgow. This, together with the residential sites known as “Ridgemont,” on Park avenue and overlooking the park, comprise over forty acres of elevated land with magnificent views of all the surrounding country for miles around. The development of these Highland Park pleasure grounds is destined to greatly aid in making Glasgow a most desirable place of residence.

Mr. Kilgore married, May 17, 1870, Annie E. Rogers, who was born in Barren county, Kentucky, January 20, 1848, a daughter of John T. and Olivia (Lewis) Rogers. John T. Rogers was a son of Edmund Rogers, and his wife was a daughter of John Lewis, a representative of an old Welsh family, the American progenitor of which came here about the year 1640, settling in Virginia. Both the Rogers and Lewis families were prominent pioneers in Kentucky. Nine children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Kilgore, namely, - Rev. John Lewis, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, at Bradentown, Florida; Bolton Garrett, engaged in the wholesale and retail hardware business at San Angelo, Tex.; Mary, wife of S. D. Gordon, a Bible teacher and author of “Quiet Talks on Power,” “Quiet Talks on Prayer,” and “Quiet Talks on English Ancestry,” who is now in Europe (1911); Edward Murray, manufacturer of cement building blocks in Glasgow; Reed Shaw, a fruit grower and rural mail carrier from Glasgow; Joseph Rogers, a student at Mount Hermon Seminary, at Mount Hermon, Massachusetts; Evelyn Byrd, wife of Dr. W. C. Butman, a homeopathic physician at Glasgow; Olivia Dutois, deceased; and Edward Young, Jr., deceased. Mr. Kilgore ia a party Prohibitionist and, true to his religious faith in which he was reared, is a member of the Presbyterian church, while Mrs. Kilgore belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Both are widely and favorably known throughout Barren county, where they are accorded the unalloyed confidence and esteem of all with whom they have been brought in contact.

Find a board about a specific topic