NOTE: I have no connection, no further information and am not seeking additional information.
Kentucky Genealogy and Biography, Volume 8B – Battle – Perrin – Kniffin, 1886.
NATHAN T. HALE, Calloway County, was born in Henry County, Tenn., December 6, 1833, and is a son of Nichols and Rhoda (Crouch) Hale. The father was a native of Tennessee, and about 1834 removed to Warren County, Ky., and from there to Arkansas some time later. Returning to Kentucky he located in Graves County, where he died two years afterward. His widow followed him four years later, and our subject went to live with an uncle, Nathan Hale, who was a farmer in Graves County, and remained with him until becoming of age. Going to Boydsville, Tenn., he began clerking in the dry goods house of E. R. Cook for $75 per year, and remained in his employ two years, his wages being increased in the meantime. He then went into the dry goods business in partnership with R.M. Haupe, in Boydsville, when he bought out nine months later; then he moved his goods to Lynnville, Ky., and went into business with his brother, W. H. Hale. They continued together five years till 1862, but during the same period N. T. Hale was partner in a store at Boydsville with E. R. Cook. In 1862 he sold his store in Lynnville, and took charge of his father-in-law’s farm and hands for one season, after which he moved on a farm in Graves County, where he remained three years, when he removed to Calloway County, and purchased a farm three miles from Murray, which he afterward exchanged for one nearer the town. He then re-entered the mercantile trade, forming the partnership of Hale, Jones & Co., and purchasing the stock of Ellison, Godwin & Co., the firm continued thus for three years, and thereafter for a similar period of time as Hale, Head & Co. Mr. Hale purchased his brother’s interest in the firm, and for two years following business was carried on under firm name of Hale & Head, when Mr. Hale bought out his partner, and was alone up to February, 1884, when his son and son-in-law were admitted to the firm. Mr. Hale is interested in a branch store at Warburg, Ky. The firm in Murray carry a stock of goods from $15,000 to $20,000, and enjoy a steady and heavy trade throughout the surrounding country. Mr. Hale started in life with but little assistance furnished by his uncle, and has made his way through the world with nothing but his own energies to rely on, which, however, have been sufficient to place him in the foremost rank of business men, and among the most respected and esteemed citizens. He and wife are members of the Christian Church, in which he has been elder for many years. He has taken a common interest in the local schools, and now holds the position of trustee, with others of the Murray Institute. He was married March 4, 1858, to Miss Margaret C. Sims, of Tennessee, daughter of John and Jane (Cook) Sims. The union has been blessed with ten children, eight of whom now survive: Orlando T. (now in partnership with his father), Virgie H. (wife of W. H. Stubblefield, also a partner in the store), Drucilla, (a young lady thoroughly proficient in music), James M., Rhoda J., William N., Burnett S. and Artie (an infant).