Kentucky: A History of the State, Battle, Perrin, & Kniffin, 5th ed., 1887, Woodford Co.
HENRY L. MARTIN was born June 5, 1848, and is the eldest son of Jesse and Margaret (Thornton) Martin. Jesse Martin was born in Scott County, Ky., October 5, 1823, and was engaged in the dry goods business in Midway, Ky., from 1846 to 1851, otherwise he has always been, and is now, engaged in farming and handling stock. He is one of the largest shippers of hogs and mules in the State, and occasionally deals in cattle. The paternal grandfather, Thomas Martin, was born in Stafford County, Va., in 1792, immigrated to Kentucky in 1808, and died at the house of his son Jesse in 1884. He was a farmer and an active elder in the Presbyterian Church the greater part of his life. Mrs. Margaret Martin was born in Philadelphia, Penn., and was the daughter of John Thornton, a native of Ireland. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church and died in June, 1874. Richard Cole, who was the maternal grandfather of Jesse Martin, settled in Woodford County in 1787, two miles west of Midway, on the old Frankfort and Lexington road (which was long known as Cole's road). There he kept a hotel and often entertained Henry Clay, Mr. Crittenden and other celebrities of that day. He was the great-grandfather of Jesse and Frank James. Henry L. Martin was born in Woodford County and reared on a farm until his fourteenth year, when he enlisted in the Confederate Army, Company A, Fifth Kentucky Cavalry, and was for eighteen months a scout under Nelson. From this company only six men survived the war. He was captured at Cynthiana in June, 1864, and remained a prisoner of war until March, 1865. After returning home he remained on the farm a few years, and in 1868 moved to Midway, where he was engaged as salesman for different merchants for about five years. He was married, December 6, 1871, to Miss Kate, daughter of John G. Brooks, Esq., then of Scott County, but formerly of Bourbon County, in which county his wife was born. From 1871 to 1873 Mr. Martin was engaged in farming. In the latter year he formed a copartnership with Oliver P. Alford, of Kentucky, went to New Orleans and engaged in the horse and mule trade. He sold out in 1879, and returned to his farm in Woodford County, Ky., and in 1880 organized the firm of Scoggan, Martin & Co. at Louisville, wholesale dealers in mules. This firm did a tremendous business, selling mules to all parts of the United States, West Indies and Europe, in one year doing a business exceeding $1,000,000. In 1883 the old New Orleans firm was consolidated with that in Louisville, forming the firm of Martin, Thompson & Co., at New Orleans, and Scoggan, Hudson & Co. at Louisville, which continued in the same trade for two years, when, in 1885, the two firms again dissolved, since which Mr. Martin has retained a copartnership only in the New Orleans house as Martin, Thompson & Co. Having lost his wife by death on February 28, 1882, Mr. Martin remained a widower until June 9, 1886, when he married Miss Lulie Stephenson, daughter of Hon. John J. Stephenson, of Maury County, Tenn., and granddaughter of the celebrated Presbyterian minister of that name of South Carolina. Mr. Martin has four children by his first wife, viz.: Jesse V., Maggie M., Mary and Henry L. He owns 600 acres of land between Midway and the old Lexington and Frankfort Turnpike together with two large brick residences. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and with his wife and elder children a member of the Presbyterian Church. His first wife was also a member of that church.