Search for content in message boards

Davis, Dawson, Cox, McDowell (via Missouri)

Replies: 0

Davis, Dawson, Cox, McDowell (via Missouri)

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 3:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, before I write what I’m here to write, I’ll quickly write these names. If you can give any info I'd appreciate it, and I'd love to send anything I've discovered. Some KY names: DAVIS ANCESTERS (Nelson, Spencer, Jefferson Co) - McDowell, Thornberry, Wiggin(g)ton, Speed, Lewis, also Linton, Keen(e) and Scarlett. DAWSON ANCESTERS (Bath Co) - Rice, Young, Bruce, Stewart. It's the Rices I've traced back via Wm. Claybourne of Kent Island, MD to Wm. the Conqueror though Bruces no doubt connect, too.

I am Colette Anne DAVIS of Silver Spring MD, sister of James Tyler DAVIS III still residing in Middletown OH, where our family moved from Danville KY. We are the children of the man mentioned in the previous thread, Dawson Young DAVIS (born Bath Co KY), who passed away in Middletown OH on Feb. 16, 1997.

Dawson was the son of Sarah Ellen "Stella" Davis Geiger (nee DAWSON in Bath Co, Ky, 1890) and Rev. James Tyler Davis (born Spencer Co, KY, 1869). Dawson was brother to Alice McDowell (nee DAVIS) Cox (Mrs. J.T. Cox Jr). Their children are Johnny, Mary Jane and Tyler of Anderson Co, the reason "Anderson" was mentioned in that previous thread re. Dad. In fact, Rev. Davis was the minister of that little old Presbyterian church there in Lawrenceburg in the 1920s).

Dawson and Alice (born early 1920s) had a half-sister and brother, Matilda and James Tyler Davis Jr (born early 1890s). Their mother, Rev. Davis' first wife, was a Cox of the same Cox family as J.T. Cox whom their half-sister Alice ended up marrying a half century later. In fact, it's entirely possible that these KY Coxes are descended from the same Coxes our Davis family is ... around 300 yrs ago in eastern Virginia. But I digress, plus never proved it.

More importantly at this point: OUR MOTHER (and Dad's wife) just passed away March 24, 2013 at the age of almost 89. Her name was Mariette Davis Welbaum (nee CHOUINARD). Just like her parents, she was born in Montreal, Quebec and died in Middletown. And she and Dad are buried very close to our Chouinard grandparents in that Middletown cemetery. Mom’s/Mariette’s father was Joseph Rene CHOUNARD (1901-1966) and mother was Flore Chouinard (born L'HEUREUX, 1900-2004). You may note that on her Journal death notice website, the two people who signed her guest book were L'Heureux cousins of ours, Richard L'Heureux , the oldest of the 24 children born to her 4 uncles, and his cousin Louise L'Heureux, who's like a sister to me.

In closing, after Dad died, Mom married a wonderful guy named Donald Welbaum. He is now in an Alzheimer’s nursing home in Greenville, OH where he was born and would want to be. I miss him very much. And between his and her "departures", these months since her death have been like a double mourning period.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions