Search for content in message boards

FAULKNER LINE FROM BALLARD CO KY TO OBION COUNTY TN

Replies: 3

Re: FAULKNER LINE FROM BALLARD CO KY TO OBION COUNTY TN

Posted: 8 Mar 2014 1:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you for responding, Rita. There were Fortners in the Trigg Co., KY / Stewart Co., TN area in the early 1800s who can be documented as Faulkners in the very early records of that area (tax and probate records, I think). I think some of them lived in the "Land Between the Rivers." There is still a Fortner Gas business in Trigg Co. I have also seen the Faulkner surname spelled Fortner in records of counties in far western Kentucky. However, I have never followed up on any of the Fortner groups who adopted that spelling. The Fortners in the Trigg Co. area seemed to be part of the same Halifax Co. Faulkner clan as those in Trigg Co. who spelled the name Faulkner. Faulkners from Halifax Co., VA began arriving in Montgomery Co., TN at the beginning of the 1800s and then moved across the state line to Trigg Co., KY (originally part of Christian Co.) when that land opened up for settlement after about 1810. Stewart Co., TN, where I think I also saw the Fortner name, was originally part of Montgomery Co., TN. All of these Kentucky and Tennesse counties border each other, so the moves were short. It has been at least 25 years since I found the Fortner information in records at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. I will check some old hard copy files when a friend returns them to see if I copied any of the Fortner information. I guess the reason I remember some of this is because I took a genealogist with more than 50 years of experience to the TN archives with me. When I showed her what was happening in records with the Faulkner/Fortner name, she gave me a very memorable lecture about how surnames morphed and how some people would not believe it even with proof in front of them:) Thank you again for replying to my post. Jan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Virginiars123 29 Jun 2010 11:36PM GMT 
Generations5 7 Mar 2014 2:34PM GMT 
Virginiars123 8 Mar 2014 2:06AM GMT 
Generations5 8 Mar 2014 8:38PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions