Search for content in message boards

Pioneer Coal Company at Kettle Island

Replies: 15

Re: Pioneer Coal Company at Kettle Island

Posted: 11 Jan 2014 3:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
My father worked for pioneer coal at kettle island along with his four brothers Cullen, Woodrow and Adrian, my father was James Helton-- his father worked for the mine also, he was a blacksmith he repaired and shorten tools for the mine.
My father's sister Mandy Smith also lived in the mining camp. Adrian Helton was killed in the mine explosion in 1930-- he left a wife and three sons.
On my mother's side of the family William and Arthur doss also worked at the mine.
In the 1940 censes it shows my grandfather living on the right side of road at kettle island in the new camp addition house number was 154.
My grandfather fell off the front porch and broke his leg or his hip and infection set in and he died five days later in the Pineville hospital he is buried in Wilton Kentucky at the Helton Cemetery. When my father married my mother Betty Jean Doss he moved to East Pineville and I was born in the Pineville hospital. I would love to see any pictures you have of kettle island and the mine-- I have been searching for several years with no results. I visited kettle island in 2010 and the mine was still open-- I took some pictures of the mine opening and just inside the mine. I went back in 2012 and the mine has
been sealed up there isn't much left to see.

Your friend James Helton
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
WilliamHale2 9 Jul 2013 4:39AM GMT 
whitewho1930 30 Mar 2014 3:38AM GMT 
helton51 9 Jul 2013 1:21PM GMT 
helton51 11 Jan 2014 10:33PM GMT 
whitewho1930 30 Mar 2014 3:46AM GMT 
BGHARJU 9 Jun 2014 4:07PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic