Search for content in message boards

EWELL, Lydia & Children

Replies: 5

EWELL, Lydia & Children

Ray Chastain (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 1999 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: EWELL, MCCLANAHAN, MCCLENACHAN, MCCARTY, SPEESE, COLEMAN, FISHBACK
Just curious as to whether anyone is researching Lydia EWELL, a servant (slave), and her children; Peter, Milly, Julien/ian, Alfred, Caroline and Vincent.

Their owner was James the Elder MCCLENACHAN of Bracken Co. Not only did he grant this family their freedom, but he provided for them handsomely in his will, 18 May 1832:

"It is my wish and desire, 1st that at my death all my negroes and servants shall be set at 'liberty' and be and forever remain perfectly 'free,' namely Lydia Ewell and all her children to wit, Peter Ewell, Milly Ewell, Julien Ewell, Alfred Ewell, Caroline Ewell, Vincent Ewell and Margaret Ann Frances Ewell, the daughter of Julian Ewell and all their increase should there be any. And as an indemnity to the County of Bracken and to prevent said servants from becoming chargeable to said County I hereby give and bequeath unto my said servants Lydia, Peter, Milly, Julian, Alfred, Caroline and Vincent, one hundred (100) acres of land lying in the said County adjoining the farm whereon I now live next to Thomas McCarty's to have and to hold the same to them and their heirs forever with all the appurtenances thereto belonging in fee simple which said one hundred (100) acres is to be taken out of the one hundred and fifty (150) acre tract which I purchased of Frederick Speese, Sr., who purchased of James Coleman, deceased. I also give and bequeath unto said Lydia Ewell one (1) sow and pigs, two (2) ewes, one (1) post and all the beds and furniture used by her and her children for the mutual benefit of them all. I also give and bequeath unto said Peter Ewell one (1) Roan Colt, one (1) shovel plow, one (1) pair of Gears, one (1) axe, and one (1) mattock, provided: the said Peter will remain with his mother Lydia otherwise she shall have what is here given to him. I also give and bequeath unto my said servant Milly Ewell one (1) loom, two (2) beds and the gear. I also give and bequeath unto my said servant Caroline Ewell one (1) cow and her choice of them and one (1) ewe also. I give and bequeath unto said Vincent Ewell one (1) heifer calf. Should it so happen that I depart this life in the fall of the year then in that case, it is my wish and desire that the above named servants shall have the crop of corn then made together with six hundred (600) weight of Pork for their support through the ensuing year, but if I depart this life at any other time than in the fall of the year my said servants are to remain upon my farm and raise one (1) crop rent free for themselves together with one (1) years provision such as meats and bread stuff and etc. All the undue and remainder of my real and personal Estate (after paying all my debts and part expenses and etc) shall be divided equally among all my children having regard to what they or each of them had already received of my Estate and such of them as have departed this life or shall hereafter depart this life before my will takes effect, it is my wish that the heirs of such deceased shall have one (1) equal share of my said Estate which deceased would have had if he or she were living except Thomas McClenachan's heirs but they shall have two hundred and fifty (250) dollars only . . . ."

I am a descendant of James the Elder who came to Bracken Co about 1817 from VA (maybe; he was in Fauquier Co, VA from 1762 to 1798). My interest in the EWELLs is really curiosity, but if they prove to be family, I would welcome them with open arms into my family. He reportedly died in Bracken Co, abt 1834.

In his will, he does not mention his wife, and Thomas is the only child he mentions by name.

As always, I'm seeking any and all info on the McClanahan/McClenachan family, and now interested in the Ewells.

One other note: His executer of his will was named as Frederick Fishback who may be the ancestor of Ann Fishback who married Reuben McClanahan, grandson of James the Elder.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ray Chastain 29 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Michael Haley 29 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Brenda 15 Dec 2001 7:45PM GMT 
luckysecret13 20 Jan 2014 6:17AM GMT 
abbynormal7_2 9 Feb 2014 1:34AM GMT 
abbynormal7_2 9 Feb 2014 1:32AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions